Bosque del Apache Wildlife refuge NM

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the past few years when I've traveled to New Mexico to visit my Mother, she's taken us to see the Bosque del Apache wildlife refuge near San Antonio, NM. The Bosque is well known as a stopping place for passing Sandhill Cranes. My mother had volunteered for a number of years at the refuge for part of the year, and enjoys bringing family members to see the refuge

most of the refuge is a grid of consecutive wet fields. some fields are around wooded areas, and others
have been kept as grassy areas when not covered with a few inches of water. around the outside of the
wet fields are cornfields. in the fall, a few rows of corn are knocked down so the sandhill cranes can eat
in an open area, with lots of room to see predators approaching. at night, the cranes and geese fly to wet
fields just deep enough to float, allow some aquatic food to grow. predators won't walk through water at
night, so the birds know they are safe there. to minimize the chance of avian diseases, the fields are rotated
so that any disease vectors can be cleared. water is drained off a field until it's clean enough to use again

10bosque1.JPG

sandhill cranes in wet field

10bosque2.JPG

10bosque3.JPG

10bosque4.JPG

10bosque5.JPG

wet field viewing platform

10bosque6.JPG

10bosque7.JPG

10bosque8.JPG

10bosque9.JPG

aqueducts and canals/gates regulate the flow of water from the river through the wildlife refuge

10bosque10.JPG

sandhill cranes and snow geese plus ducks at nighttime sleeping zone

What a wonderful trip you're having. Did you see any
mountain lions??? Does this land belong to the Apache?
The management of the wildlife area sounds exceptionally
well planned and executed.

:) all of these New Mexico pictures are from a collection of trips. Some interesting points about the national wildlife refuge or other federal parks is often have volunteer positions available that can be traded for room and board. If you volunteer 20 hrs a week doing only what any person is physically able to do, you get room and board. And if there are rv's in the picture the hookups are included as well. My mother first volunteered at the okeefenokee wildlife refuge

I didn't happen to see any mountain lions, and I think the land is owned by the govt

Back