hookerae & volonteanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulolo

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm still a bit confused about the differences in floral characteristics between hookerae and volonteanum. Can anyone help me understand? Side by side pictures?
Thanks!

According to Cribb. Volonteanum has purple spotted leaf undersides and a slight constiction below the horizontal mouth of the lip. So I presume hookeri has plain leaf undersides and not a horizontal mouth to the lip?

According to Cribb. Volonteanum has purple spotted leaf undersides and a slight constiction below the horizontal mouth of the lip. So I presume hookeri has plain leaf undersides and not a horizontal mouth to the lip?

This is how you distinguish the two I read, too.

I think Mike if you go to the link I posted in my first, above, you will see the color differences for these 6 plants at least.

One of the reasons Cribb rejects species rank for volonteanum is that intermediate forms are not uncommon.
For me the difference is that I can grow hookerae but not volonteanum, ... and after having killed about six of them I've decided to give up as to persist starts to feel indecent.

BTW, I have also read that natural dayanum x hookerae hybridization has occurred in part of the hookerae range.
I wonder whether we tend to overestimate the degree of species purity out there. How many generations does it take for a rare hybridisation event to sink into the phenotypic variation of the more predominant or genetically dominant of the parental species ? For example could the more lanky versions of hookerae have a dayanum great grandparent ? .... for example : http://www.elsner-orchideen.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p336_paphiopedilum-hookerae.html

Latest posts

Back