Hello from Newfoundland- curious about root buds on stem

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowberry

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I am new to orchid growing, I have a small collection including 2 lady slippers that are still alive after one year. One now has had a stem, which shot up over the winter. The variety is Paphiopedilum lawrenceanum var coloratum x anne HCC AOS [I still am learning what this means!] At the top of the stem but below where the bud would form are what seem to be the beginning of root projections. Is this normal? When a stem shoots up is this

Could someone advise me if this is a good thing and if I am actually going to get a flower.

Thanks so much

snowberry

Welcome, Snowberry (nice name!), to our forum! Glad you found us!
That's a pretty nice paph if it's one of only two so far!
I second what likespaphs said: we really need a snapshot to tell you what's going on. Doesn't sound like usual paph behavior, if roots are extending far up a stalk.

Welcome from Orlando!

I have never seen slippers put out roots from a flower stem (like phals etc can). Would love to see a photo. There's probably a very reasonable explanation.

WELCOME to ST snowberry! I'm from the midwest, USA, where are you located?
Is it a flower stem? Sounds like it's a shady plant climbing out of the litter of the forest floor! Could be saying repot me!

Welcome to Slippertalk, Snowberry!

I agree with the others, please post a photo -- it's hard to visualize exactly what is happening with your plant.

Welcome to the Forum. I am interested to hear from members who live in or near the arctic circle. I used to know some one in Alaska who told me that although it is cold there, the humidity is very low. Could get down to 8%. And this needs a very special treatment and care
Yes I think the rest was right to see the photo first, before making comments. My experience with this type, I guess it is a maudiae type, was that sometime the plant elongate so much that the next leaf is about 10cm above the rest and under this leaf it is shooting root. If this is so, then you can put in in deeper pot or carefully bend the plant stem that the last leaf is just an inch above the media.
But please send your photo first.

Welcome from Ontario!

Sorry; but, we really do need a photo before we can accurately diagnose what's going on and give you good advice about what to do.

BTW: Are you sure that you've copied the name correctly? Is it EXACTLY as it appears on the tag, including all punctuation? From what you've written, it seems to be a pure lawrenceanum. Paph. lawrenceanum typically sends up stolon-type growths that can shoot up way past the main plant and they will have root "nubs" along their length. This makes them appear to the untrained eye to be a flower spike; but, a flower spike arises from the centre of a mature fan of leaves, not just straight out of the potting medium. Hopefully, you can show us some photos to confirm what's going on.

Snowberry, I am a fellow Newfoundlander. If you are in St. John's, drop the plant up to the Botanical garden and I'll take a look..my goodness, there are FEW Newfoundlanders growing anything more exotic than Phalaenopsis. We need to meet!

Latest posts

Back