Hellebores

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy

Just me!
Reaction score
The white one is Helleborus niger. I planted it last year and it seems to like the spot I chose. My other Helleborus was here when we moved in. It's a massive plant....about 4' across with numerous offshoots. This one is a bit late after our extreme cold winter and is just budding up now. I don't know which species it is....the flowers fill in a dusty lavender colour.

Attachments

• DSCF3072.JPG
    DSCF3072.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF3068.JPG
    DSCF3068.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF3084.JPG
    DSCF3084.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 36
Angela, a few years back I was given a couple of small plants and just stuck them I the ground where they get late morning to early afternoon sun only. The "soil" is concrete clay with mulch over it.

Despite the sub-zero winter, its booming away.

Ray Barkalow (via Tapatalk)

Angela, a few years back I was given a couple of small plants and just stuck them I the ground where they get late morning to early afternoon sun only. The "soil" is concrete clay with mulch over it.

Despite the sub-zero winter, its booming away.

Ray Barkalow (via Tapatalk)

My conditions are similar to Ray's although mine get dappled sunlight all day. Our soil here is clay amended with lots of compost/mulch. They are nicknamed Christmas Rose as they can start blooming under the snow in winter. Last year my purple one was in full bloom long before the snow had melted.

John, our local plant nursery has several of the white ones. (Helleborus niger) I can pick one up for you if you like.

I second what Ray and Wendy said. They prefer dappled sunlight or full morning sun will work to. Mine are in pretty loamy soil (thanks New England!). I prefer the pure white ones....they really show themselves off in the Spring. The pink ones, at least for me don't stand out nearly as much. Wayside ($$$) offers a bunch of varieties as do other nurseries. Another bonus is these guys will seed themselves and you'll get seedlings around the base of the plant. Sometimes they don't make it through our winters but enough do that you can expand their presence a bit. You should try one, they are worth it and generally nothing bothers them.

I just bought two new double flowered hybrids and am waiting for the weather to improve so I can plant them in the shade of our magnolia tree. I could really get addicted to Hellebores....such cool flowers!

Latest posts

Back