helenae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good Mike.

The two I put in baskets are doing great. These little farts grow on rocky cliffs, so I bet this mounting will do great for you.

That's a nice one Mike. I like the dorsal. The plant looks healthy. So do you have to water it often as it is mounted?

That is fantastic! My helenae all continue to sulk, so perhaps I should try a few with some similar treatment?
Your flower is great as well. Well done on your culture.

Thanks all. I love this little thing. David, Yes a little more watering but not that much, it takes about 3 to 4 days to dry out.
Angela, thats just a bit of fern fiber packed around the roots to hold extra moisture.
When I have enough plants, I'd like to try this with other ''sometime'' epiphytes like hermanii, tigrinum etc.

The flower displays really nice like that. Imagine if you get it to a specimen size with several flowers popping straight out. That would look cool.

It so cute, love helenae. :smitten:

My little one is doing well in its pot, but I think it's a new leaf emerging and not a sheath... *grumbles*

Too cool. Is the mount a round one is it flat? Did you condition the tree fern before mount? Three to four day to days seems a long time for new tree fern.

When my plant gets a tad larger, I'm going to try mounting. I just happen
to have a tree fern mount on hand. Normally, I use cork bark, but if you
say tree fern works, I'll try it. I have lots of mounted plants and they
generally do well in my very humid greenhouse. I'm so glad you posted
the photo. Thank you!

Taking another look at your bloom and Dot's right...it is sweet.

.... These little farts grow on rocky cliffs, so I bet this mounting will do great for you.
I would not hesitate to try mounting my next helenae!

..... a little more watering but not that much, it takes about 3 to 4 days to dry out.
This was a surprise to me too! Tree fern is getting hard to find or maybe it's me & the over harvesting of them, I'd try cork, cedar & others.

I have heard about helenae and parishii mounted, but I had never seen it.

Your heleae looks very healthy that way (those shiny leaves are amazing). You made a good decision :clap:

Thanks for sharing!

Too cool. Is the mount a round one is it flat? Did you condition the tree fern before mount? Three to four day to days seems a long time for new tree fern.

The mount is flat. This species of t/fern is very course with no root hairs, just course fibers. I've used it for years without any treatment. I does tend to dry rather quickly (which I prefer) thats why I packed some fine fern fiber around the roots - to slow down the drying. Normally, for epiphytes, they just go staight on.

Latest posts

Back