helenae; bud to bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice series of pictures there Rick. What container are you growing your plants in, it looks huge in comparison to the plants? A very coarse mix as well, would you say that is the secret behind getting these to grow?
I am pleased to see that Mr Gnome is hard at work! I have got to give that a try. Do you think he will assist in erwinia cure as well?
Lovely helenae by the way.:)

Nice helenae congrats hopefully my buds will get the same colour I like the yellow once more then the more red one

I'm also curious about your containers for helenae.
Very nice set of pictures

OK Eric, no flirting with my lucky gnomes. I don't need them jumping ship for a plane to NY!
Gary, head to your local Wal-Mart and pickup these handy store baskets! I think I paid $1.97 ea. They're 8 X 11 inches and 4 inches deep. From the photo you can see they have pre-drilled holes on all sides down to an inch above the bottom. The bottoms are solid. The white rocks, a local limestone, covers the bottom then the mix on top, Orchiata#5, clay balls and limestone chips. I'm trying to minic a more natural growing environment with a spreading root system. There are two helenaes in this basket which seem to be taking to this type of culture. It does stay wetter longer, 4 days vs. 2 days in a pot. I have other plants setup this way as well.

Last edited:
Such cute plants and beautiful blooms.
I liked the container too. Would it work for armeniacum? are they in the storage department of WM? Thanks

Thanks Rick, I guess my nearest Walmart will be Miami (only about 10000km away) I will breeze over there this weekend (about a three day round trip with customs and passport control taken into consideration)
Guess I will have to try and find a local equivalent. Any chance of a picture of the container itself?

They're such cuties. Love helenae in any shape, colour, and form I think.

At fist I thought those lime stones were fried eggs! :rollhappy:

Thanks Rick, I guess my nearest Walmart will be Miami (only about 10000km away) I will breeze over there this weekend (about a three day round trip with customs and passport control taken into consideration)
Guess I will have to try and find a local equivalent. Any chance of a picture of the container itself?
:rollhappy:

I think people on this forum, sometimes forget that we're not all living in the US. :wink:

Such cute plants and beautiful blooms.
I liked the container too. Would it work for armeniacum? are they in the storage department of WM? Thanks
Maybe and yes

Sure
They're such cuties. Love helenae in any shape, colour, and form I think.

At fist I thought those lime stones were fried eggs! :rollhappy:

:rollhappy:

I think people on this forum, sometimes forget that we're not all living in the US. :wink:
I guess I should of added a poke smiley. I kinda figured Gary wouldn't have a Wally Mart but would know what the hell one was. Since here in the states you can't go a mile in any direction without running into one of the damn stores!
I did go visit my brother in central Florida and the closest Wal-Mart was 30 miles away. I told him, "Damn, we are in the wilderness, aren't we?" LOL

Rick- there isn't a single Walmart in all of NYC. I have never entered one in my life. But that's a gorgeous helenae!

Seriously cute helenae's. So Rick, the water doesn't escape from the bottom, only the sides when it gets to that level? So there is a reservoir of water at the bottom?

Really lovely helenae, Rick. I don't think I've met one I didn't like, but the
yellow-gold is very special. I've not met the gentleman with the beard. Is
he a Walmartian too?

Thanks for the picture Rick, I now know what to be on the lookout for. I kind of expected it to have a mesh bottom. Rick so as commented on above, there is obviously a pool of water in the bottom. Does that mot cause problems with stagnation?
Sorry to be diverting your thread with lovely helenae to plastic tubs

Latest posts

Back