Hazelton Bog native orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I met fellow native orchid fans Ken Hull and Jerry Pedini at an industrial park in West Hazelton, Pa. to check out the white fringed orchid, the yellow fringed orchid, a wide variety of mixed hybrids and some grass pink orchids. The orchids grow in a highly disturbed area where large feeder power lines move across a side hill that has lots of stone and water. There were botanical societies visiting the site on that day, and lots of people were trying to find the perfect flower (and butterfly) shot.

hazelton713a.JPG

northern white fringed orchid, mostly pure species

hazelton713b.JPG

closeup

hazelton713c.JPG

drainage area with lots of white fringed

hazelton713d.JPG

Jerry Pedini getting a shot of white fringed

hazelton713e.JPG

nice single plant

... more later

Some years ago I found an orange fringed orchid on a mountain bald and
was amazed. No water source aside from rain and the stand was doing
well in very poor soil. I think this one is a very pretty native orchid...delicate looking. Niiiice photos.

Thanks! We also met native orchid friends Bob Sprague and Eleanor (Sam) Saulys) unexpectedly at the bog; twice Ken and I have been on trips and run into Sam. Co-incidentally, both spots had platanthera ciliaris (the yellow or orange-fringed orchis). Bob was leading some botanical club tours here, and Sam is just everywhere :)

continuing on, there were a few plants of the yellow fringed orchis, and lots of hybrids of colors between deep orange and creamy orange-white. it's difficult to tell in a mixed population which might be true species, but usually if it's completely bright white or deep orange, then the odds are pretty high that it's a species. the hybrids can be very pale orange, so slight a color that it sort of muddies the white, or it can be a very pleasant color, and often the color expression can create two-toned flowers. often, you'll have a mostly orangish flower, but the fringes of the lip are strikingly white! Sam found a very nice example of the latter type which is shown later.

at most locations, the white fringed orchis is in wetter spots, often in moss of bogs, lower parts of sandy swales that stay moist (like roadside ditches). the ciliaris is often in a slightly higher position, usually; a little higher than the water table, but often a sandy spot with a bit more drainage (but the water isn't very far from the roots, making it somewhat of an always-damp spot)

hazelton713f.JPG

one of the few most-likely true platanthera ciliaris, orange-fringed orchis

hazelton713g.JPG

closer view

hazelton713j.JPG

natural hybrid between the white and orange fringed orchises

hazelton713h.JPG

Ken Hull getting a shot of some likely hybrids in a small shaded ditch

hazelton713i.JPG

closeup of plants in drainage

hazelton713k.JPG

hazelton713l.JPG

a beautiful natural hybrid with just a shade of white on the fringes of the lip

The orchids seem to have taken advantage of the altered environment.

yes! many north american natives thrive in disturbed areas. there are lesser numbers that need very undisturbed areas, and most of those are the ones formerly native to new york state that I wasn't able to find. the spiranthes probably have their highest numbers now that there are miles of roads going through rock cuts and wet areas, allowing them to thrive and spread. unfortunately, the orange fringed orchis used to be found in central ny near oneida lake, but between landscaping of the shoreline and prevention of forest fires, their habitat isn't allowed to be disturbed in the proper way

pics of other interesting things

hothers713a.JPG

there were black swallowtail butterflies that were visiting all of the fringed orchids,
but they didn't stand still for very long. this is a pic of a large butterfly just taking off
from a hybrid fringed orchid. I enhanced the picture to make it easier to see the butterfly

hothers713b.JPG

front boggy area with a white fringed in front and a grass pink back left

hothers713c.JPG

possible hybrid in front and ciliaris in back, or example of two widely different hybrid color expressions

hothers713d.JPG

Jerry and Ken in pursuit of the elusive....

hothers713e.JPG

grass pink in it's habitat (very front)

hothers713f.JPG

grass pink and it's cantilevered flowers, and fake anthers/pollen

hothers713g.JPG

unusual rare plant (extirpated in ny state) called 'fly poison'; the flowers
are normally whitish but turn green when older

hothers713h.JPG

cranberry

hothers713i.JPG

unusual moss or related, both ken and jerry were very interested in it

hothers713j.JPG

sundew

grass pinks are somewhat common in cultivation and nyeric says that he has some white fringed, but I don't know if orange fringed is in cultivation or not

it would be nice to have some of the bi-color or other hybrids; sometimes in nature you find populations of hybrids where the source of parent species has fizzled out; other times you find hybrids that have come about because of seed made from two species, but they are sterile and don't reproduce themselves and you end up after a little while just having parents again

Nice tour Charles. I love the lip on P. ciliaris.

From what I've seen of Platenthera species in the southeastern US they require competing vegetation to be removed to thrive long term. Fire and to a much lesser extent wind can keep habitat open enough for them. Of course mowing machines work great too!

I think your little moss is in fact the lycopod species known as northern bog club moss, Lycopodiella inundata.

Thanks for the tour :clap:

Thanks for the follow-up photos. Looks like a good trip. The hybrids are interesting. All the orchid species shown are available in cultivation in the USA.

Latest posts

Back