hangianum x bellatulum ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sangii

malipo nut
Reaction score
Hi all ! I haven't posted in a while ...

First bloom for this paph. I believe this is hangianum x bellatulum, but not 100% sure. Large flower ( 12x12cm) and wide dorsal (5.5 cm wide)

dsc05416ms9.jpg

I guess you can say one of the parent is hangianum.
The other one, I am not sure you can tell.
What does the label say?

It's gorgeous. I've had a hard day. That picture just put me in a whole new place. Thanks for posting it. ;)

hangianum has got to be in it, the dorsals are often so big and shaped similar to that. As for the other parent haven't a clue, its gotta be something with leaf pattern. hangianum doesnt have leaf pattern....btw what would I call those white "windows" on paph leaves or on the maudiae group if i was writing an award discription?

Has it opened up all the way or is it now just opening? Either way, very cool spotting and HUGE! :) Since it is a first bloom, you better get ready for an even better flower next time. Great!

Whaterver it is I like it. However I would like it better if the dorsal had more spotting to go with the petals.

Don'cha hate when that happens?!

yep ! actually I am SURE 100% that hangianum is one of the parents (that I remember from the label), it is bellatulum I am not 100% sure. I have a hangianum x leucochilum cross also and was wondering if this could be this one ( lost the label as well on hang x leucho :rolleyes:)

Hmm, don't know if I'd agree. Would all Veitnam Beautys have that same color in the stam? The shape & spotting on the stam is the same, but no green color on Sangii's.

the pending petals could be, the green stam. def is from vietnamense, but my vietn. have a deep colored pouch, that also would have gone lost on Lilo s flower; so I, too, do not think it is vietn. ! For the other parent ? a brachy :) ! Jean

But, a great flower !!! Bravo Lilo

yep ! actually I am SURE 100% that hangianum is one of the parents (that I remember from the label), it is bellatulum I am not 100% sure. I have a hangianum x leucochilum cross also and was wondering if this could be this one ( lost the label as well on hang x leucho :rolleyes:)

I think hangianum x leucochilum ( from the marking of the petals )

Ernie said that bellatulum crosses lose the big bellatulum spotting, but lots of small spots is typical. Wouldn't leucochilum give more of a webbing pattern?

I'd think that's either Woessner Giant (hang x conco-bellatulum) or Karl Ploberger (bellatulum x hang). Very nice hybrid either way.

Best wishes, carsten

I agree that this is a hangianum hybrid. As to the other parent -

1.) bellatulum hybrids ALWAYS have short flower stems, usually floppy or weak. Most hybrids will be closer to the typical bellatulum for flower stem length than to the other parent, perhaps this and the degree to which the stem is floppy will give you a clue.

2.) leucophyllum has medium length flower stems, usually strong enough to hold the flower up. If your flower stem is as tall as a typical leucochilum, and strong enough to hold the flower up - then leucochilum is more likely.

3.) Dot & Ernie's comments should be considered also. (webbing & spotting)

4.)Conco-bell or wenshanense would be intermediate, with possibly a slightly more pronounced yellow or ivory tint background.

I agree that this is a hangianum hybrid. As to the other parent -

1.) bellatulum hybrids ALWAYS have short flower stems, usually floppy or weak. Most hybrids will be closer to the typical bellatulum for flower stem length than to the other parent, perhaps this and the degree to which the stem is floppy will give you a clue.

2.) leucophyllum has medium length flower stems, usually strong enough to hold the flower up. If your flower stem is as tall as a typical leucochilum, and strong enough to hold the flower up - then leucochilum is more likely.

3.) Dot & Ernie's comments should be considered also. (webbing & spotting)

4.)Conco-bell or wenshanense would be intermediate, with possibly a slightly more pronounced yellow or ivory tint background.

That is an amazing observation.
-My bellatulum x delenatii has very weak floppy stem. Also the spots become stippling.
-your flower looks like it has some kind of webbing.
Anyway, since you have both crosses,
leucochilum x hang & bellatulum x hang, once the other one flowers, you can decide which has more web and asign the name correctly

Latest posts

Back