guessing game

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different! I bet we're going to say 'oh, of course!' :eek:
Charles - I do like your guess, I was using the same reasoning.... but there's something suppressing the white & green colors ....
hmmm .....

I thought that it was simply the designation of the offspring from the results of pollination or conception (not sure if f1 applies to crosses by non-plant species, I would assume so but just not sure); meaning the first wave of offspring (like a math equation sort of), usually used in genetics discussion

okay parent 1 and parent 2 are crossed
1 x 2
you get offspring which in this case is 'z'
1 x 2 is z
z is the F1 generation

if you were to cross some of the offspring from the F1 generation
z1 x z5 is z alpha
z alpha is now the F2 generation. crossing parents gives you the F1 generation, then crossing some of the F1's gives you the F2 generation of that original cross

probably waaaaay too wordy and long

maybe the easiest way I should have said it was
take two parents, cross them, the population you first get is the F1 generation. cross some of the F1's and you get the F2 generation

I'm sure that this designation also applies if you do selfings of a parent. If you do another crossing of the original parents, those offspring then become the F1 generation of that particular cross or breeding; cross some of them and you get the F2

F1 = First filial generation.
The filial generation comprised of offspring(s) resulting from a cross between strains of distinct genotypes.

I think it's a generic genetics term; you make a cross and the offspring resulting are the F1 generation. It doesn't imply the types of parents, just that all those in 'f1, f2' are all directly related in their own generation

now, I have seen in places where someone has been doing orchid breeding of a certain species, and they use 'f1, f2, f3, f4' and so on, and I don't know if they are really using all the same plants to make these crosses. I have seen up to 'f6' used for certain breeding of phal bellina, to indicate that they are supposed to by highly selected, but I don't know if all the parents in each generation are all from the original parents, and that sort of thing, or if they are including outcrosses and are using the F descriptor incorrectly. They want to show that it's the next level of breeding and expected improvement, but who knows if they are using the term properly or not. (I think it was michael ooi who I had seen using this designation for his bellinas)

so, does the term 'F1', strictly speaking, only apply to line breeding siblings or selfings?? (ie not first generation hybrids - species cross species)

If the first filial generation is the offsprings from a cross between strains of distinct genotypes.

That means the parents of the F1 can't be closely related. They come from 2 different breedinglines or species. Speaking of F1 in orchid breeding, in most cases would indicate a primarycross.

The F2, F3 and so on, is the following generations of inbreeding/linebreeding the offspring.

hangianum x fairrieanum, with a nice red hangianum?

Latest posts

Back