guessing game

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know........a lycaste and a hangianum went into a bar. 120 days and two years later, voila!:evil:

:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy: good one Hera!
Really fairrie x emersonii????

It's hangianum instead of emersonii, just like all the other exceptionally dark 'emersonii' hybrids

I'm unconvinced about the hangianum parentage assuming this is a primary hybrid. The staminode has quite a bit of yellow in it -- more than I feel could be explained by hangianum as a parent.

Also, I would expect the raspberry coloration to be particularly intense near the base of the petals, and then show significant fading towards the tips of the petals. In this flower, the intensity of the coloration is fairly uniform.

To me, this looks like a particularly colorful Paph. Black Diamond (though obviously more intensely colored) and that suggests it's fairrieanum x vietnamense.

Right or wrong, that's my logic.

Like the Barry and wey say.
Answer is fairrianum × emersonii.
I knew the result well be questioned by many people.
But it is
Ask God
:rollhappy:

I thought that it was simply the designation of the offspring from the results of pollination or conception (not sure if f1 applies to crosses by non-plant species, I would assume so but just not sure); meaning the first wave of offspring (like a math equation sort of), usually used in genetics discussion

okay parent 1 and parent 2 are crossed
1 x 2
you get offspring which in this case is 'z'
1 x 2 is z
z is the F1 generation

if you were to cross some of the offspring from the F1 generation
z1 x z5 is z alpha
z alpha is now the F2 generation. crossing parents gives you the F1 generation, then crossing some of the F1's gives you the F2 generation of that original cross

probably waaaaay too wordy and long

maybe the easiest way I should have said it was
take two parents, cross them, the population you first get is the F1 generation. cross some of the F1's and you get the F2 generation

I'm sure that this designation also applies if you do selfings of a parent. If you do another crossing of the original parents, those offspring then become the F1 generation of that particular cross or breeding; cross some of them and you get the F2

nice explanation:clap:
thanks

IMAG1332-1_zpsf537570f.jpg

plant can explain some things

Latest posts

Back