Guess what the parentage is (3);

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrag-Plus

Reaction score
x4.jpg

x5.jpg

You sure there wasn't some Sorcerer's Apprentice pollen left on the toothpick? I don't see the China Dragon at all. Accidental selfings happen. Do you emasculate the pod flower before creating the hybrid? If not the pollinia sometimes turn down and self the flower, similar to what happens in exstaminodia or lindenii. I am thinking of all the Phrag After-Glo I have seen (Sorcerer's Apprentice x Eric Young) and even though they were only 1/4 besseae there was distinct besseae influence in every clone I saw bloom.

I do recognize that photos can be misleading - but from the images here. All Sorcerer's Apprentice would be my guess.

You sure there wasn't some Sorcerer's Apprentice pollen left on the toothpick? I don't see the China Dragon at all. Accidental selfings happen. Do you emasculate the pod flower before creating the hybrid? If not the pollinia sometimes turn down and self the flower, similar to what happens in exstaminodia or lindenii. I am thinking of all the Phrag After-Glo I have seen (Sorcerer's Apprentice x Eric Young) and even though they were only 1/4 besseae there was distinct besseae influence in every clone I saw bloom.

I do recognize that photos can be misleading - but from the images here. All Sorcerer's Apprentice would be my guess.

Yes I always took off pollen, an there is no technical mistake here...I do and always agree at 25% besseae color still there...
I did not use any Sorc. Apprentice is use in this cross...

The problem with deciphering these crosses is that as they get more complex they also are more variable with different characteristics showing in each plant. It is almost impossible to figure these out without more information and the ability to see a decent population of the progeny. This particular flower is quite lovely......

The problem with deciphering these crosses is that as they get more complex they also are more variable with different characteristics showing in each plant. It is almost impossible to figure these out without more information and the ability to see a decent population of the progeny. This particular flower is quite lovely......

It is that why I’m always said than it is very difficult and getting more and more problematic to try to put name on mislabelled plant. Even if the label show the good parentage, variations that occur in complex hybrid are becoming very difficult to deciphering.
And this exercise is showing than even if you use besseae or schlimii hybrids with their dominance for colors at a certain rate it become unexpressed and recessive. But there is much than that too... There is more fun and more rule to challenge and apply in breeding... Real passion!

Latest posts

Back