Guess the primary

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labskaus

Reaction score
One judge at the session a week ago brought this little thing, just to show around.
It is a primary, and it is not registered. First to flower from the cross, so you haven't seen this one before. The pod parent is quite obvious, the pollen parent isn't. The dorsal may give a clue. Good luck and have fun.

20081117-115502-118.jpg
bildercache_80x15.gif

20081117-115537-996.jpg
bildercache_80x15.gif

20081117-115607-623.jpg
bildercache_80x15.gif

Cheers, Carsten

Oh great cross!!! And the foliage is superb!!! sukhakulii x villosum??? Or gratrixianum x villosum???

Not bad, Kyle, you've got the pollen parent right, and I thought that was the harder bit.

Rick H got it right!

Sorry for the bad pictures, probably made it hard to recognize the snake skin pattern on the leaves. Those who guessed venustum where pretty close, too.

This is the first tranlienianum hybrid I've seen, and it actually turned out better than I would have thought. Maybe those who disregarded this species as a hybrid parent straight away should re-consider. But maybe its just good (enough) because wardii is a dominant parent.

The plant was sitting in a 6 cm pot, making it desirable for those with limited space.

Best wishes, Carsten

Rick, congrats, well done!

The bad news is, the breeder lives in my country and not in yours :poke:

To give him the credits: Hilmar Bauch, of Asendorfer Orchideen in Germany, made this cross god knows why.

Hilmar runs a small specialized Paph nursery where he offers seed raised Paph species from his own stock plants. His goal is to propagate every currently recognized species, and he already had 60 on his list earlier this year.

Best wishes, Carsten

Hmm. I'd side with Kyle (venustum X tranlienianum) or recip, but apparently he wasn't righ? ... edit, oh, well maybe if i read the entire thread I would've seen the answer.

-Ernie

Well, if the pod parent isn't venustum, it must be wardii................Eric

Latest posts

Back