Guess The Primary 2

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

Here is the other primary; we actually used both the album forms of each parent, can you guess what the 2 parents are? This cross was originally registered in 1896.

PaphPrimary25272008.jpg

Robert

we actually used both the album forms of each parent,
Robert

Could you please explain to me the fact that you used both album forms of the respective plants and then have lots of color in the flower. Does album not mean that there is an absence of color pigment?

Could you please explain to me the fact that you used both album forms of the respective plants and then have lots of color in the flower. Does album not mean that there is an absence of color pigment?

I used both album forms as they were blooming at the same time, and I was curious to see what you would get, I wanted to know if the offspring would all be albino or not. If they were all albino this would mean they would have the same albinistic gene.

As an example; blue eyes is a recessive trait and similar to an albinistic gene as people with blue eyes lack the gene to make brown pigments in the eyes, so if 2 people with blue eyes have children 100 % of their children will have blue eyes.

In this case the offspring did not turn out to be albinistic which means we are dealing with 2 separate genes. You can look at it this way, both genes probably make a different protein that are important in making red pigments. Say protein A and protein B. you need both protein A and protein B to make the red pigment (A plus B gives the pigment AB).

Parent 1 is albinistic and thus is aaBB which means it can't make protein A and thus it cannot make the red pigment (It does make protein B, but without protein A the pigment cannot be made), with the small letter "a" it means it probably is a mutated gene that cannot make protein A. also "a" means it is recessive.

Parent 2 is also albinistic, but is AAbb; in this case it can make protein A but cannot make protein B and thus it cannot make the red pigment.

Now if you cross parent 1 with parent 2 (aaBB x AAbb) all offspring will be AaBb all offspring will have one gene that can make both protein A and protein B and thus the pigment can be made, and thus the plants are not albinistc. Now if you sib 2 of the seedlings 25% should be albinistic (aabb). Sometimes in these cases you will see that AaBb plants are lighter in color that AABB plants as AaBb plants only can make 1/2 the amount of red pigments.

This was a simple way of explaining this, sometimes in real life it is more complex than this, but hope this helps....

What is its name?

It's name is Paph Schofieldianum, registered by Sanders back in 1896!

Hi Robert, bringing back an old thread... but I was hoping you could advise - as far as culture of this plant, does it take after the hirsutissimum parent or the bellatulum? Also, August... was when you first posted this thread... was that when this plant was in flower?

Thanks
tim

Back