Greenhouse heat

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My generator powers the greenhouse 100%, and in my home the furnace, well pump, and enough other circuits to give us light.

I am considering converting it to propane, as gas is SO bad these days (with the ethanol), the the carb gets gummed up in no time.

The only gripe I have with LP is the you end up with cyl. head problems because the LP dosen't lube the valve stems like gas does. You can remove the valve seal spring or poke a hole in the seals with a sewing needle. It starts way easier in the cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
You talking about a 2-stroke?

I don't know of a 2 stroke that has poppet valves...

On a 4 stroke, Gas acts like lubricant to the intake valves so they don't seize in the valve guide. This happens because not all of the fuel has vaporized like LP does when released. With that said, I'm not sure the clearances your gen has on the valve guides.

I would also love to be off the grid (one way or another). Or generally drastically cut my carbon footprint. So far the economics just aren't getting me there.

I just paid $500 for the generator I just picked up, and it will supply enough power to keep the fans in the GH going as well as my well pump and a few small appliances in the house.

It will cost me probably another $500 to add a transfer station so that I can keep the generator hooked up to the house and just flip switches to link it to the appropriate circuits (also after a manual starting) rather than to drag out a bunch of extension chords to hook to various appliances.

For $500 in DC solar fans and a maybe the battery backup. I do get automated airflow in the GH, but my wife will be wondering how come the GH gets electricity, while she has to hike to the creek to fetch water for the house:sob:

I hear you Rick. And yes, solar panels are a great idea in theory..but we're seeing that there are issues. We have a solar powered chicken door opener and on over cast days here in the winter there are many days it can't recharge itself. You'd think it would be able to store enough battery life, but no... So, we find out from the distributor that these solar panels were "made in China" and not holding a charge. They replaced them and we're still seeing the same thing. I had also looked into solar evaporative coolers and other solar equipment for g.h. #2. But, I'm also priced out of the market and if the winter months make the equipment useless for me, than it's just another headache. I'm talking fans and such, not the evap. cooler in the winter....

:) well, you could tell her that the orchids are 'defense-less' and can't run to the creek to water themselves, but I wouldn't advise it

I'm glad you are concerned for my safety Charles.:p

She used to work with elephants, and knows how to bash things with big sticks:sob:

I always see greenhouses with dimensions that make it rectangular. Is there any reason behind that as opposed to making one square? Possibly for better climate control or something??

I always see greenhouses with dimensions that make it rectangular. Is there any reason behind that as opposed to making one square? Possibly for better climate control or something??

Mine is 12X12 (square).

I think GH shapes may be based more on backyard lot shapes or standard building supply dimensions. (everything is 8X4).

I don't know but its also rare to see a square house.

On a rectangle, it is all about the roof.
One would be able to use less beefy roof rafters, so cheaper.

Might want to look at gable roof, snow loads.

On a rectangle, it is all about the roof.
One would be able to use less beefy roof rafters, so cheaper.

Might want to look at gable roof, snow loads.

That style roof pretty traditional for a hobby green house.... I think your thinking of a Gambrel style roof, which will increase roof strength and reduce snow load along with allow a more direct path for light transmission. Also, Will give more area in the roof section to help hold at a more even temp.....

If you do a gable style roof then you'll want a 12-12 or 14-12 pitch, something along those lines... In other words an A frame style to decrease load on the roof.

Keith,
I was thinking gable, to be an economical viable solution.
To me, a shorter rafter is preferable. Even is there are more of them, on a rectangular structure.
Gambrel may very well be stronger, but initial investment, to me, would be higher cost.
I could be wrong...

square structure = too many aisles? I'm sure this could be avoided, but it's something to consider.

Back