Gold Country Orchids

Discussion in 'Orchid Vendor Sales' started by goods, May 5, 2011.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. May 5, 2011 #1

goods

goods

goods

I'm placing an order for a plant from Gold Country, but if I'm going to pay shipping I'd hate to pay for only one plant. Since they don't list many plants on their site, I was wondering what, if anything, people have gotten from Gold Country that isn't listed. I'm mostly interested in Angraecoid species (which I've heard they have a good selection of). I just don't know which ones to inquire about. Any suggestions are welcome though! Thanks

2. May 5, 2011 #2

mormodes

mormodes

mormodes

The angraecoid that immediately springs to mind is their Aerangis luteo-alba var rhodosticta. I know Alan has 4n's of these (he got one awarded last year check the csnjc website index* for an image and measurements) but whether he's selling them or not and at what price/size I have no idea. I usually email him with my wish list and he replies with the presence/absence of them in his GH. Pretty sure its gcorchids@aol.com

*http://www.csnjc.org

3. May 7, 2011 #3

Candace

Candace

Candace

Call Alan or e-mail him. 90% of his plants are not listed on his webpage.

4. May 7, 2011 #4
    It's always good to talk to people. I always find: It's a very good place to start (If I don't know what I want or need) to ask them to choose or pick! That way, by putting your trust in "the expert" you'll very hardly ever get any rubbish.

5. May 8, 2011 #5

goods

goods

goods

I have emailed him about the funalis. I just didn't know what other plants he had to check the availability. I don't necessarily have a particular in mind. I usually just pick up any Ang I can find since many are becoming increasingly rare. I have tried to ask a couple vendor's opinions on what I should buy and I've received negative responses from more vendors than I've received advice. A few were quite helpful but most usually don't have time.

6. May 8, 2011 #6

li'l frog

li'l frog

li'l frog

Have you tried Oak Hill Gardens? They usually have some. Or Michael Orchids.

7. May 8, 2011 #7
    Oak Hill has quite a few, was there last week, they're not 4n though.

8. May 8, 2011 #8

goods

goods

goods

Oak Hill's always the first place I go to when I'm looking for a hard to find plant. Mr. Greg and his family are great, and more times than not, they have what I'm looking for or can find it for me. I picked up an Aerangis luteo-alba var. rhodosticta last week from them at a show. I was asking about plants from Gold Country because I'll buying a division of Mr. Alan's Dendrophylax funalis and wanted to buy more than one plant since I'll be paying to ship.