Gigantic roths

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure it is not an undescribed species?
In my dreams! I have thought of selfing it to see if it breeds true, but the idea of a 10 year project like that is a bit daunting.

It is certainly unique. Well worth keeping though. How many flowers do you get on a spike?
3 to 4 (some years the first bud does not develop and the flowers start higher on the stem)

Maybe its our loooong lost species, Paph elliottianum??
The stuff of dreams!

Rick, as I posted way back, I have split my greenhouse into two groups, a low-K and a regular feed. I am about 5 months into my trial, but summer is only starting now. This plant as it turns out is in the low-K side. Have to be honest, I am hoping it stays the same as I have enough regular roths.:) The collector did indicate that part of the difficulty in collecting them was that they were semi lithophytic, growing on ledges. He did not think that they were worth the effort as the flowers were not 'good enough'

I have often wondered, if it was not from Kinabalu itself, where could he have collected the plant? I have visited the area on many occasions and remember it being a jumble of massive mountains, not necessarily in height, but in girth. The area has changed quite a bit over the years, but back in the 80's it was pretty difficult to move around, so I can only imagine that collecting on the surrounding hills must have been very difficult (said like that it sounds like a small area, but in reality it is a vast and broken area that can easily hide whole armies)

Interesting thoughts on the origination of this plant. That is the stuff of my dreams, to visit my beloved slippers in person. Some day.....:wink:

Latest posts

Back