Gigantic roths

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is the plant stressed? any idea on the origin of this cultivar?

It was a wild collected clone (not all wild collected clones are equal!). It has a bit of an interesting story attached to its origin, the collector whom I got it from claimed that it did not come from any of the known localities and the plants were few and difficult to access. It did not carry a great price as the collector admitted that its flower was not good, more of a curiosity and of interest because of where the plant population was located. At the time I was obviously hoping it would prove to be a new species. Years later when I returned to buy plants again, (the collector was a particularly good supplier of lowii and virens, back in the day when it was still legal to buy wild collected plants) the fellows family informed me that he had passed away in an auto accident a few months earlier.
It has more root mass than leaf mass, and seems happy enough. What makes it more obvious is when you see it next to one of my other roths. It is a very slow grower (even for a roths). I have kept it because of its uniqueness, obviously not for its superb floral characteristics.
I have to admit, it does make me smile when it tries to flower every few years, like a visit from an old friend!:)

that's a great story. for me one of the most interesting aspects of the orchid hobby is learning the provenance of all the different clones. i would keep it too.

as for this flower, it does have a roth staminode, but something about it is definitely...non-standard.

Ooh, you should try and cross it with Ayreon's compact roth! It could start a whole new roth trend; mini roths - for the windowsill! :D

Gary

I have a roth clone that I got back in 2002 that until two years ago never got more than about 35cm leaf span. It would add new growths, loose growths. Maybe max out at 5 growths and then drop back down to 2 or so, and never bloom.

2 years ago I split the two remaining growths into baskets and started low K. One of the divisions has done nothing, but the other is now up to 6+ growths with a leaf span exceeding 60cm on the oldest growth. It also has a flower sheath slowly coming up!!

At least in this case culture is trumping genetics, but for 8 years I was convinced I had a genetically "compact clone".

I also had a reverse case with an adult roth with normal sized growths (obtained in 2005/2006) bloomed with 25-27cm flowers. It went into a growth frenzy, but then started producing smaller and smaller new growths and then problems with roots loss/erwinia rots. It bloomed its 2nd ( and last time) in 2009 or 2010, with cute little 11 cm flowers. Then the last few gowths promptly rotted. During that ownership period there was no shortage of repottings, pH adjustments, and potting mix schemes.

Just another couple of anecdotal observations that led to low K (and general starvation rations) programn I'm using now.:wink:

I like it. If it is unusual and has sentimental value, it's definitely worth having occasional visits from an old friend. Some things give our lives
continuity and we all need that.

Latest posts

Back