General Orchid Taxonomy

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anamense

Ernie,

it is a form of villosum (see Braem & Chiron page 148) where it is explained in detail.

But beware. There is also an artificial hybrid (Asburtobiae x Nuna) that has been named P. Anamense. You should not confuse the two. Again see Braem & Chiron page 148. The correct name for this hybrid is P. Whitefieldense.

Regards
Guido

Ernie said:
Dr. Braem,

Love the idea. Now for my first question... one word: anamense??? Species, variety of villosum, garbage, syn of affine (then what's affine)? Go. :) Thanks for your expertise!

-Ernie

OK Guido and Olaf,

I have a question for the both of you. I don't know if you have been following the threads regarding the discovery of Phrag. besseae and the IN-SITU pictures of Phrag. besseae by Kyle.

Anyway my question for you is: do both of you think that Phrag. dalessandroi is distinct enough form Phrag. besseae to warrant it to species rank? And if you consider it to be a different species what characteristics make it different enough from Phrag. besseae to consider it to be a different species.

In my opinon Phrag. dalessandroi should not be considered a species, but a variety (or subspecies) of Phrag. besseae. I think Phrag. besseae is a highly variable species, and that what some people call Phrag. dalessandroi it just one of the "extreme" populations within the species of Phrag. besseae.

If you look at Kyle's pictures, and also the plants that Jerry collected in Peru in the 80's they show charcteristics that are intermediate between Phrag. besseae and Phrag. dalessandroi. Some people would call these natural hybrids between Phrag. besseae and Phrag. dalessandroi, but I would call them "intermediate" populations of Phrag besseae that show charcteristics of the true Phrag besseae (of what is considered to be the "type" of Phrag. besseae) and Phrag. dalessandroi. Also if you have these "intermediate" populations or natural hybrids, is this not proof that you have gene flow going on from one population to another (or as some people would say form dallesandroi to besseae) and as you have gene flow going on this would be a reason to lump them all in the same species: Phrag. besseae.

Robert

Dear Robert,
Phrag. dalessandroi is distinct enough from besseae to describe it as distinct. If the differences are enough for a the ranking as a species is a subjective decision. When Dodson described this species together with me we thought that the differences are enough. But we must learn more and more after the publication of the description. So another tacxonomist could decide also that the level of a variety or subspecies is enough. I could live with so a decision. But it will be necessary for the future that we label our plants correctly and that we don't mix all these different regional plants in our collections or in artificial propagation under the same name, that we don't know in the future which are the true plants from the wild and were they come from.

Best greetings

Olaf

Olaf,

Thank you for your opinions, so my next question is what should we label the plants that Jerry collected in Peru . Following are pictures of one of these plants from another thread (photos taken by Kentuckiense):

img2265mediumdk9.jpg

And here is a shot of the bloom:

besseaeperu1988np6.jpg

The flowers are intermediate between Phrag. besseae and Phrag delassandroi. They do not form stolons (a characteristic of delassandroi), but yet they do not get as many flowers on a stem as delassandroi.

For now we have labelled this clone as Phrag. besseae 'Peru88'

Robert

Dear Robert,
I had thought about when I have seen your thread about, but did not found an answer for the moment.
It will be always a problem to define strict lines between species. Especially in Paphiopedilum you can find so many plants between the speciesborders, typical example is the now described Paph. wenshanense, the group around Paph. villosum or around barbigerum.
But please could you mail me the picturesof your plant in better solution to my mailadress, and when it be possible also from the side and the staminode.

Best greetings

Olaf

Now....do all straight bessaea's form climbing stolon's? My bess. has a typical, and beautiful, bess. shaped flower....does not look at all like d'allessandroi. But it is a compact grower that has never done any kind of climbing, unlike most bess. hybrids that I have. Take care, Eric

I heard a rumor and was wondering if it may be more than a rumor.

I know the taxonomy of Phrags. kaieteurum, lindleyanum, and sargentianum has always been an open debate, but I recently heard that lindleyanum is going to take precedence when any of the taxa are used in a hybrid. This would make hybrids Rosalie Dixler, Andean Fire, and Mem. Dick Clements all Phrag. Andean Fire. Is this true?

Jon in SW Ohio said:
I heard a rumor and was wondering if it may be more than a rumor.

I know the taxonomy of Phrags. kaieteurum, lindleyanum, and sargentianum has always been an open debate, but I recently heard that lindleyanum is going to take precedence when any of the taxa are used in a hybrid. This would make hybrids Rosalie Dixler, Andean Fire, and Mem. Dick Clements all Phrag. Andean Fire. Is this true?

If this is true would all Phrag. Jason Fischer's become Phrag. Inca Fire (= Andean Fire x besseae)? I am sure Jason won't be happy with that!

Robert

besseae/dalessandro

Robert,

The main criterion on which P. dalessandroi has been based as a separate species is the difference in chromosome count. All other differences could be fairly easy explained away. Now, I do know that plants within a species can have different chromosome counts (for example in Tolumnia guianense, I have counted myself 40, 41 and 42)

It is Interesting that Wimber in 1994 put P. besseae var. dalessandroi as having been counted with 28 chromosomes just as P. besseae itself, and talks of a "Peruvian besseae" with 24 chromosomes.

Dodson & Gruss argue that P. besseae always has 24 chromosomes. But that is contradicted by the Wimber counts of tetraploid P. besseae with 56 chromosomes (56/2 = 28).
Having known Wimber, and having seen the pictures of his publication, I doubt that he made a mistake.

Furthermore, it is known that P. dalessandroi and P. besseae cross freely, and I must tell you that it is impossible to know how many artificially bred "P. besseae" out there are in fact a cross between the two. And only the gods know what has been used to "create" the "P. besseae" hybrids that are so popular.

Thus for me, the arguments pro "single species" (P. besseae) are better than those supporting two different species. In Chriron, Chiron & Braem (2006) we included DNA material of 3 different wild collected besseae and from 1 wild collected dalessandroi (I don't care if someone screems "bad boy"). The results show that dalessandroi and besseae are very, very, very closely related.

But then, the same applies for P. schlimii and P. fischeri.

Beware, the publication is in French and Dodson & Gruss's publication is in German.

I know from "well-informed" sources that 1) the distribution areas of "true besseae" overlap with those of P. dalessandroi and that (2) there is distinct variation within "true besseae". The pollination syndrome is very similar and may well be the same seen through the eyes of an insect. Therefore "intermediates" do not surprise me at all.

Guido

Drorchid said:
OK Guido and Olaf,

I have a question for the both of you. I don't know if you have been following the threads regarding the discovery of Phrag. besseae and the IN-SITU pictures of Phrag. besseae by Kyle.

Anyway my question for you is: do both of you think that Phrag. dalessandroi is distinct enough form Phrag. besseae to warrant it to species rank? And if you consider it to be a different species what characteristics make it different enough from Phrag. besseae to consider it to be a different species.

In my opinon Phrag. dalessandroi should not be considered a species, but a variety (or subspecies) of Phrag. besseae. I think Phrag. besseae is a highly variable species, and that what some people call Phrag. dalessandroi it just one of the "extreme" populations within the species of Phrag. besseae.

If you look at Kyle's pictures, and also the plants that Jerry collected in Peru in the 80's they show charcteristics that are intermediate between Phrag. besseae and Phrag. dalessandroi. Some people would call these natural hybrids between Phrag. besseae and Phrag. dalessandroi, but I would call them "intermediate" populations of Phrag besseae that show charcteristics of the true Phrag besseae (of what is considered to be the "type" of Phrag. besseae) and Phrag. dalessandroi. Also if you have these "intermediate" populations or natural hybrids, is this not proof that you have gene flow going on from one population to another (or as some people would say form dallesandroi to besseae) and as you have gene flow going on this would be a reason to lump them all in the same species: Phrag. besseae.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
besseae/dalessandroi

Bravo Olaf!

Guido

ORG said:
Dear Robert,
Phrag. dalessandroi is distinct enough from besseae to describe it as distinct. If the differences are enough for a the ranking as a species is a subjective decision. When Dodson described this species together with me we thought that the differences are enough. But we must learn more and more after the publication of the description. So another tacxonomist could decide also that the level of a variety or subspecies is enough. I could live with so a decision. But it will be necessary for the future that we label our plants correctly and that we don't mix all these different regional plants in our collections or in artificial propagation under the same name, that we don't know in the future which are the true plants from the wild and were they come from.

Best greetings

Olaf

Thanks Guido! I think I agree with you regarding the besseae/dallesandroi debate. I also think that fischeri and schlimii are very closely related, but to me (unllike with besseae/dallesandroi) those are 2 distinct species. I think they are distinct because if you would have a greenhouse that would be full with just fischeri's and schlimii's (but all mixed up) I would easily be able to detect which of those are schlimmii and which are fischeri. The flower shape/color is very different; the staminodal shield is different (both in shape and color); growth habit is very different, and fischeri is always autogamous (selfpollinating) while schlimii is not. I don't know if I would be able to do the same if we have a greenhouse full of besseae's and dallesandroi's; especially if you would have clones like 'Peru88' that have characteristics of both species (I have never seen a fischeri, that kind of looks like a schlimii, or visa versa).

Olaf; as soon as Phrag. besseae 'Peru88' is in bloom I will send you detailed pictures.

Robert

Eric,

if and when you mix Botany with Horticulture, just about anything becomes hilarious. And as my estimate is that 70 or more % of all orchid hybrids are not that what they are labeled as ....

Guido

NYEric said:
Now that's hillarious!

Robert,

you don't have to convince ME that P. fischeri is a good species. I described it.:D

Guido

Drorchid said:
Thanks Guido! I think I agree with you regarding the besseae/dallesandroi debate. I also think that fischeri and schlimii are very closely related, but to me (unllike with besseae/dallesandroi) those are 2 distinct species. I think they are distinct because if you would have a greenhouse that would be full with just fischeri's and schlimii's (but all mixed up) I would easily be able to detect which of those are schlimmii and which are fischeri. The flower shape/color is very different; the staminodal shield is different (both in shape and color); growth habit is very different, and fischeri is always autogamous (selfpollinating) while schlimii is not. I don't know if I would be able to do the same if we have a greenhouse full of besseae's and dallesandroi's; especially if you would have clones like 'Peru88' that have characteristics of both species (I have never seen a fischeri, that kind of looks like a schlimii, or visa versa).

Olaf; as soon as Phrag. besseae 'Peru88' is in bloom I will send you detailed pictures.

Robert

I have a small problem, as Heather might, that a plant which I purchased as a species is actually a hybrid. The issue of the natural mixing of besseae w/ dalessandroi will complicate the hybridization further down the road; i.e. plants registered as besseae X n are really besseae X dalessandroi X n. I have noted that plants w/ [what I consider] the real dalessendroi pick up the drooping petals and the orange/yellow color. I think some of the breeding besseae lines need to be investigated on a genetic level so sort out the besseae hybrid mess that will probably come up.

Latest posts

Back