Fusarium, Pseudomonas ...?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fibre

Reaction score
Since some month ago I have a problem with brown rot. Yes I know, the cause of brown rot can be quite different.

But how to distinguish between Fusarium, Phytophtora, Erwinia and Pseudomonas?
The pics at the website of Hark can help a little bit, but most of them are about Phals.

Today I found a very strong smelling rot at the base of the leaves of a Paph that appeared and killed an whole shoot within two days. It smelled like a overripe pineapple.
My guess is that this is a bacterial infection. What do you think?

Today I found a very strong smelling rot at the base of the leaves of a Paph that appeared and killed an whole shoot within two days. It smelled like a overripe pineapple.
My guess is that this is a bacterial infection. What do you think?

Classic Erwinia

It is a bacterial infection. Erwinia is a fermentatious motile rod. It cues in on the plant's hormone to lyse off old leaves for new growths and roots to come out. Plants grown on high potassium low calcium/magnesium diets are highly susceptible to this organism.

I use Dragons blood/cinnamon to stop infection spread in tough cases, But since changing my feed regime I rarely see infections in my older plants that have really tough high calcium growths.

Back