Fungus?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the product link Ozpaph. Yes that's a fungicide I painted on to see if it would stop the progression of that brown line and it does seem to
but I'd like to know exactly what it is. it only seems to affect species with
succulent leaves, mainly brachypetulum. Maybe I should mist less and increase ventilation?

Going down the vein like that looks somewhat different from the typical leaf end burn, which usually browns a wider swath at the tip before progessing down the leaf.

That looks almost like a mechanical split. In times gone past my brachy's were more "succulent" but now they are more like leather.

Could it be too much water retention causing a spit at the vien?

Did you also apply fungicide to the plant in lower photo? There is a symmetrical
dusty pattern that looks like hard water evaporation line.

Did you also apply fungicide to the plant in lower photo? There is a symmetrical
dusty pattern that looks like hard water evaporation line.

No that's not hard water, everything else in the g/house is clean. That might be fungicide residue from when the leaf was still developing?
It's still happening, I've noticed it starting on some other leaves (concolor & bellatulum. All the other sp. (parvi. paphio. barbata ect.) are fine.

No that's not hard water, everything else in the g/house is clean. That might be fungicide residue from when the leaf was still developing?
It's still happening, I've noticed it starting on some other leaves (concolor & bellatulum. All the other sp. (parvi. paphio. barbata ect.) are fine.

My guess is its a split from the leaves expanding and contracting under variable turgidity and perhaps low humidity. The paste will help to keep the bugs out of the injured leaf area.

Hi all!
This year I started growing paphs. And I'm still learning from you!
I bought all my plants from ebay!
But here are some leaves:
025750509.jpg

025750513.jpg

025750512.jpg

025750511.jpg

Should I worry about them?
And what can I do to prevent this in a future?
Thanks!!! :)

First one looked like mite damage. the rest looks like cell collapse. nothing to worry about. However I think you should check the first one.

Others will probably chime in. Goodluck

what sort of mix do you use?
your mix is different than mine and looks kinda chunky.
have you been growing other orchids too?
how long have you been growing?
also, where are you located? (it sometimes helps with cultural advice but if you prefer not to say, that's absolutely at your discretion)
:)

I use COMPO Mix for terrestrial orchids.
And sphag on the top is only for keep humidity.
I grow some orchids since last year, most phals and dendrobiums.
But this year I bought more species.
My favorite - Paphs!!! :wink:

Thanks for the answers! :D

Hi bricki, and welcome to Slippertalk.

I agree with eggshells, but I might also include the second and fourth ones in that suggestion. Do you know if they've had or have spider mites?

Back