Weird Pattern on Phrag Spike

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cristoff

Reaction score
Hi!

Was hoping someone recognizes what's affecting my Phrag Mini Grande. I've tried looking around online and couldn't find anything similar.
I was watering and noticed the tiny leaf sheaths on the inflorescence is discoloured. Plant is growing well otherwise other than missing a couple waterings recently due to my absence.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
PXL_20230409_001455210_676x898.jpg

PXL_20230409_002201195_676x898.jpg

"Plant is growing well otherwise other than missing a couple waterings recently due to my absence."

That's your answer (maybe). Phrags need to be kept watered at all times. To avoid it in the future, you should put it in a semi hydroponic situation.

I have a Wanuakee Sunset 'cherry' and nearly killed it keeping it too dry. Now it is in SH and also has a moss top, and has 4 new growths which i hopefully will not harm as they grow out. (It still takes a good year). One thing about Phrags, is that they LOVE water. Pure water, (RO or Rain). There is a phrag that wants to be kept more on the dry side, but I don't own it. If there is Longifolium in it at all, it wants to be in water. (Which is why I messed up with the 'cherry'). The ones I have no knowledge of are the Kovachii hybrids.

Thank you both for the replies! Will be more diligent/have a better backup plan going forward.
I'm pretty good about watering every few days and only use RO water. My unexpected absence lead to some irregular watering.
Hope my next set of spikes are blemish free.

Thank you again :)

Back