Fungul problem?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have this paph and it is pitting on the lower leaves. It seems to be spreading slowly. I just got it from orchid inn. Two tiny mushrooms just sprouted in the media so im not sure if this may be fungul. All help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Attachments

• 20230423_163704.jpg
    20230423_163704.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230423_163659.jpg
    20230423_163659.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
If it has enough plant material, I'd say slice off the affected area and see if it returns??
It looks like the surface of the leaf tissues are collapsing and does not look like a fungal infection.
By the way, the mushroom you see in the media is not the same as the fungal pathogen that prey on living tissues. They are harmless decomposers that are doing their thing breaking down organic material in the potting mix. Might mean that the plant can be repotted into fresh potting mix now.

I would myself..... Treat for mites then apply an anti-fungal just to be safe. Then observe new leaves. Might have to repeat again in 10-12 days.

Also check roots, make sure it's not nutrition related...

I'd say spider mite damage and treat accordingly. As Leslie says, you could also do a fungal treatment for a belt and braces approach. Mites will thrive in low humidity so might be worth looking at that aspect of your growing area.

Hi, it might be mites. But if you cut of the collapsed tissue, then it might be good to dip or brush the fresh leaftip with cinnamon powder.
If in your material grows mushrooms, might be a good idea to repot the plant in fresh media.

Hi:
I agree - probably spider mite - I would repot in fresh medium and also cut off infected area then spray ends with Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) then apply cinnamon powder - I would also clean roots and spray with Hydrogen Peroxide.

Drug store hydrogen peroxide can damage root hairs, which are a significant route for nutrient uptake. We may not notice the effect, but it is a setback to the plant.

Drug store hydrogen peroxide can damage root hairs, which are a significant route for nutrient uptake. We may not notice the effect, but it is a setback to the plant.

That might be true. Many people use for cleening e.g against pests or desinfection clear alcohol. More pure, the better. Cinnamon has also a desinfectant affect.

Latest posts

Back