Forum Rants!!!!!!!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tocarmar

Reaction score
I know I should have wrote this to the moderators first, but I did it this way to get everyones attention!!

I hope I don't offend anyone!! But I know that this probably will!!!
:( I ( we , all) have noticed alittle more than judgemental conversations going on here. I am not perfect but I have noticed this!! The moderators have stepped in on a few occasions! I have not been on as much (posted) as I probably should. I have been having multiple health issues/personnal things going on for the the last year +++.. I hope that instead of "fighting" ect. it should be done in pm's to the person instead of on the forum. YES, I know that there is critisism ect. but some of it has been getting boring.. I am sorry for this but I had to say it!!

I am sorry for this but had to say it to get it off of my chest!!!!!!!!!!!! I ( we) have noticed that some of the regulars have also not been on, or on as much as they were!!! I hope everyone can agree especially the moderators!

where is all this fighting going on and how do I keep missing it?

Same here....If anything, this forum has been milder now than it has been at various times since its inception. However, that said, even at its most contentious, this forum is still the most polite, reasonable, and respectful forum of any I have ever gone on, in any area of interest.

Same here....If anything, this forum has been milder now than it has been at various times since its inception. However, that said, even at its most contentious, this forum is still the most polite, reasonable, and respectful forum of any I have ever gone on, in any area of interest.

I agree Eric. This makes me think of something someone said '' If I haven't offended you yet, please be patient and I'll be with you shortly '' :evil:

Allthough I understand your sentiment I still consider this to be the best Orchid forum on the net that I frequently visit. Lots of knowledge here and people who don't hesitate to share that knowledge.

And it wouldn't surprise me if the moderation team send out a few pm's to certain individuals over the last few weeks.

I must be missing all these posts as I haven't a clue what is going on. I haven't read a word in anger for a long time now. In fact this forum is a lot tamer than it was when I joined where there was a lot more robust debate. So it would be nice if someone would elaborate a bit more rather than post cryptic messages.

I don't know what specifically prompted you to start this thread, Tom, but I respect your right to express your opinions. I hope things will improve for you soon. I can certainly relate to having health and personal issues. Life can be exceedingly difficult at times. You have my empathy and my best wishes.
And it wouldn't surprise me if the moderation team send out a few pm's to certain individuals over the last few weeks.

No one from the moderation team has ever contacted me via PM asking me to tone things down or shut up.

I've tended to be outspoken around here, but I am not a contentious person by nature. I have always tried to moderate my harsher words with a sense of civility no matter how strongly I feel about any particular issue. To the best of my knowledge I've only spoken out stridently:

1. in defense of USA Constitutional freedoms,
  2. in defense of truth, justice, basic human rights and civil liberties,
  3. in defense of the planet, the environment and endangered species,
  4. in defense of religious freedom and each individual's right to be free from religion and free from the imposition of another's religious law,
  5. against sweeping generalizations which, by their very nature, tend to engender misinformation and unfairness,
  6. against dishonesty,
...and on one occasion I spoke out directly against a single individual who took it upon himself to bait for and pick a petty, ugly fight in the most rude and anally-retentive manner possible. :evil: It's really a shame, too, because as far as I can see, he is a wonderful person, a great orchid grower and a veritable fountain of knowledge. Alas, I think that bridge has been burnt to mere ashes. :eek:

Am I outspoken? Yes! Do I intend to offend? No! I hereby sincerely apologize to those whom I've offended in the past. I don't, in all honesty, bear any ill will whatsoever against any of our members here. I am always willing to bury the hatchet and start anew - always! We should all be aware, however, that sometimes the truth can hurt. I do my very best to speak only the truth, and I have no intention of ceasing to speak the truth until I am silenced by death. That being said, I know I am far from perfect. Not everything I read demands a response from me, nor am I omniscient. I'll make more of an effort to hold my tongue around here, but I can't promise I won't respond when truth, justice or the silence of others absolutely demands a response. For this I won't apologize, but I do humbly wish for peace on earth and goodwill toward all mankind, especially toward my fellow orchidists. :wink:

Except of the cases where folks are deliberately being belligerent, I think that many get caught up in the subject matter, and assume everyone already understands that "In my opinion...", "What I perceive...", or "In my experience..." mentally precedes most statements.

If we'd be smart enough to add that to what we write - and what we read - there would probably be less consternation.

Lanmark i wasn't thinking of you when i wrote my initial post in this topic.
Ahh, this is good to hear. :wink: I didn't presume your post was directed at me, but I felt it would be best for me to post my comments above just in case anyone here was in fact thinking of me.

Except of the cases where folks are deliberately being belligerent, I think that many get caught up in the subject matter, and assume everyone already understands that "In my opinion...", "What I perceive...", or "In my experience..." mentally precedes most statements.

If we'd be smart enough to add that to what we write - and what we read - there would probably be less consternation.

That's good advice, Ray. :)

Tom, you are entitled to post whatever you'd like, but I don't necessarily agree that the forum has had more "rants" than usual. There are simply personalities here that don't get along. And I suspect this will always be the case. We do see the tantrums and are aware of them. The "ignore" feature is a wonderful tool to use if those folks are upsetting you. You may choose to click on the ignore feature and those threads and postings will "poof" be gone from your screen and be less apt to irk you.

AW Christ! as if just growing pretty Orchids wasn't ''sissy'' enough,now its happening to the internet!

Someone please show me to the thread in question?

If I want to ignore someone, I don't need to press a button for that. There are so many posts anyway I only have time for those that really interest me. We all have our interests and no one needs getting upset about anything.:p

Back