first flowering Schomburgkia tibicinis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
I got this plant in 2005, and it is actually blooming for the first time here:
It has become a large plant over the years, and the flower spike is 1 m +!

the plant in octobre 2016:

1. flower opening a week ago:

I always like the look of the plant but the individual flower doesn't last long though. Nicely done.

All schomburgkias (at least the more common ones) seem to be slow but very easy plants. Needs tons of light. My tibicinis is in a pot but I have another one with more cattleya-like bulbs which I divided and tied several pieces on a dead tree stump in full sun. All are taking off, producing multiple new shoots. They like mounting without any moss or moisture-retaining material.

Nice one!

Is this still a schomburgkia or was it moved into myrmecophila? The mcp. types are the ones with the hollow p-bulbs that in nature become nesting sites for ants that will attack any critter that tries to eat their host plant.

My fav would have to be the Mcp. brysiana. It is a more compact grower than tibicinis, and has brown/orange/yellow blooms that have a similar appearance. Still too big for my space or I'd have a few by now.

Thanks all!

Nice one!

Is this still a schomburgkia or was it moved into myrmecophila? The mcp. types are the ones with the hollow p-bulbs that in nature become nesting sites for ants that will attack any critter that tries to eat their host plant.
You are right but I purchased this plant as a Schomburgkia, and don't see any need to change that tag :) !
about 7 flowers now, and 12+ buds to develop!

Jean

Latest posts

Back