finally: roth in situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That photo was used in a book. Don't recall which one now, but it's been around for a few years now. Very nice!

Great pictures,I climbed Mt.Kinabalu a few years ago,truly beautiful place,did not see a Roth though!:(

It is awesome to see it growing in nature AND in flower :clap:

This photo was indeed taken this past winter during an expedition to that part of Malaysia to study the ultramafic flora. The shot was taken by a friend of mine, Rogier van Vugt, who works at Leiden Botanical Garden in Holland. He said about trekking to that valley was "hell to get there" but worth it in the end. Entrance to the area is limited by permit.

It looks as though the roth. is growing on rock with leaf
litter around the roots. The litter appears to resemble pine
needles. I can't quite see the growing area well. Is my
assumption correct?

P. roth

assumption correct?

assumption correct?

Follow the link and click 'next' on the lower right. You'll see many more insitu photos of the moss they're growing in and a baby roth!

definitely not pine needles, roth grows on serpentine which is a basic substrate high in Magnesium.

That picture of the little plantlet blew me away! looks just like something a few months out of flask.

Thanks for finding these, I've met Rogier a few times now and he told me prior to his "vacation" that he was probably going to see roths in the wild. At Orchilim a few weeks ago he told me about the trip and that he actually saw rotschildianums in the wild.

Latest posts

Back