Filters for landscape photography

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed at the start of the thread that a few of the photo links aren't working. I'm not sure why as I haven't deleted any. The problem is I can't work out how to get the photos back in as I can't edit any of those earlier posts. Can anyone offer assistance?

David, all the photos on the first page of thread show for me. I am using Internet Explorer for my daily needs.

David, all the photos on the first page of thread show for me. I am using Internet Explorer for my daily needs.

I can't see two of the photos regarding polarizing filters. In Firefox I see nothing, in IE I see 2 x's.

I'll repost the section on polarisers here -

Polariser Filters

If there is one essential filter then it is the polarizer filter. Polariser filters are great at reducing glare and reflections in an image. This is particularly useful around water. Whenever I photograph waterfalls I always use a polarizer filter. Below are two photographs of the same waterfall. The one on the left has been taken without a polarizer. Notice how the pool of water at the front has a lot of reflections coming off it. There is also a lot of glare coming off the rocks, log and leaves. The overall look is pretty harsh. The photograph on the right has been taken with a polarizer. The water now has no reflections – I can see right through it. There is no glare coming off the rocks or log. The ferns and moss have a much nicer saturated colour.

Polariser filters are also useful at deepening the intensity of blue skies as well as giving real punch to clouds (it makes them really pop out at you). I had trouble finding a before and after shot of this but here is one from my trip in Nepal. The first one is taken without a polarizer. Notice how the sky is nowhere near as intensely blue while the clouds pop out at you a bit more in the second photo. The leaves are a lot more saturated in colour in the second photo as well. To be honest the sky in the second photo is a little over the top. At high altitudes the air is so clear that the skies are already very blue. If you add a polarizer filter on top of this, it can look a little fake.

Thanks for the tips David. Question - I've played a little with polarizing filters shooting waterfalls at long exposures to get that flowing sugar look. The only problem is that the whites tend to lose all detail and just become supernovas. Any way around this - faster exposure times or…? Example below (sorry for the small size).

SugarWater.jpg

Thanks for the tips David. Question - I've played a little with polarizing filters shooting waterfalls at long exposures to get that flowing sugar look. The only problem is that the whites tend to lose all detail and just become supernovas. Any way around this - faster exposure times or…? Example below (sorry for the small size).

[/IMG]

That happens to me a lot as well Tom. I think you just need faster shutter speeds. The problems with waterfalls is they are often dark places so your camera will meter for a longer exposure resulting in the relatively bright rapids getting overblown. You could try spot metering the water or just take a few photos at different exposures. It can be a bit hard to judge that in the field so when you get home you look at the photos on your computer and realise a shorter exposure would have been better.

If you shoot in RAW you may be able to retrieve some of the information. I've done that a bit.

SugarWater.jpg

Adjust down the whites in Lightroom (must shoot in raw). Nice photo by the way

Just ordered the Big Stopper. It will be here Tuesday.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lee+filters+big+stopper&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

Somehow, while I was on the vendor's page, my hand slipped.
This one will be here Tuesday as well.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/980547-REG/singh_ray_r_303_100mm_x_100mm_lb.html

Sale ends today.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Thanks again David.

Excellent Clarke. Look forward to seeing some extreme long exposure photos in the future.

You probably already know but here is how I photograph using the ‘big stopper’ filter.

• Because you lose so much light with the filter on, you initially need to set everything up with the filter off.
• Without the ‘big stopper’ filter work out your composition and focus. In aperture mode determine the shutter speed.
• Then put on the filter. Change the focus to manual as your camera cannot automatically focus with the filter on. Change from aperture mode to manual.
• To calculate the shutter speed required, multiply the shutter speed you got without the filter in aperture mode by 1024 (2 to the power of 10). You use the power of 10 because that is how many stops of light you are losing. If you had a six stop filter then it would be 2 to the power of 6 (64). So if your shutter speed was 0.2 seconds with the filter off, then with the filter on it becomes 0.2 * 1024 = 200 seconds. When you have these really long exposures then you don’t really need to be exact. You wouldn’t see much difference with 210 seconds for example.
• If the shutter speed is greater than 30 seconds, which it will almost certainly will be, in manual mode switch your shutter speed to BULB.
• Using the lock button on a shutter release cable (or something similar), hold the exposure for 200 seconds.

That Singh-Ray Color Intensifier Filter looks nice as well. That was an expensive slip. :)

David, just me send a bill for what I owe you.
Thanks for going over the math and technique.

Thought I would post a snapshot with Color Intensifier, but there is no sun now.
David, I bought the Big Stopper now for - just in case for this trip. I don't think I will use it, but it would be wise to take.
We have a wonderful place called Ricketts Glen State Park about 3 hours from home by auto. I am going to combine it with the fall foliage in October.
More waterfalls than you can shake a stick at.....

Stay focused! :D

That Singh-Ray Color Intensifier Filter looks nice as well. That was an expensive slip. :)

While out west, it fogged up on me during early am shoot. So I said F it, put it back in bag and used just the polarizer like I done in the past.
Go to use it yesterday, it still had the residue on it. Tried cleaning it with my regular wipes that I use all the time, and the stuff would not come off.
In the end I scratched the filter in at least two spots. The residue is still on it.
I will try windex later after I cool off.

While out west, it fogged up on me during early am shoot. So I said F it, put it back in bag and used just the polarizer like I done in the past.
Go to use it yesterday, it still had the residue on it. Tried cleaning it with my regular wipes that I use all the time, and the stuff would not come off.
In the end I scratched the filter in at least two spots. The residue is still on it.
I will try windex later after I cool off.

That's a bit disappointing Clarke. So obviously there is more than just moisture on the filter? Cleaning filters is a bit of a pain. Sometimes the more I try to clean them the dirtier they get.

I am to assume the pouch that it comes with is clean on the inside, right?
I got less than 20 clicks on it. It might be a while before I get to clean it.
I have lost my enthusiasm for it.

Extremely informative write-up. Thank you David for putting this together. I know a bit of time was spent on this.
Mentioning brand names- ever so important. Too much overpriced crap out there.

Qs-
Do you shoot RAW?
May I copy your print for my personal use?

Thank you.

6/15/2011

I remember this post like it was last week.
How many times did go back and use this thread for reference???

I got letter in mail yesterday.
Two of four images I submitted in a juried show, have been selected.
Needless to say, I'm high as a kite right now.

Neither image would make the grade, if I did not use the filters I had I my kit.
This is big deal for me. Its the first time I feel like an artist.

David thank you so much for putting this thread together.
Rugged Beauty and New Day are wallhangers.
Cheers! :)

6/15/2011

I remember this post like it was last week.
How many times did go back and use this thread for reference???

I got letter in mail yesterday.
Two of four images I submitted in a juried show, have been selected.
Needless to say, I'm high as a kite right now.

Neither image would make the grade, if I did not use the filters I had I my kit.
This is big deal for me. Its the first time I feel like an artist.

David thank you so much for putting this thread together.
Rugged Beauty and New Day are wallhangers.
Cheers! :)

WooHoo. That is fantastic news Clarke. Congratulations. It should be a big deal for you. That is a great achievement and something to be proud of. I'm glad I could play a small part. It took a while to put that post together but I'm sure glad I did now.

Those are two great photos that will look great mounted on a wall in a big format. You should post the photos in a new thread for others to see.

You have inspired me to try and get my own photos displayed.

A big thank you to Dot who restored the photos at the beginning of this thread using the Photobucket links I provided.

Latest posts

Back