Fall in Fukuoka, Japan

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Lots of fall color these days. Here are a few highlights in and around the hood.

A big Gingko biloba growing at a local shrine. These are without a doubt the best yellow colored leaves in fall.

BigGingkoHisSM.jpg

A water basin carved out of a boulder at the same shrine.

GingkoPoolSM.jpg

Not to be out done, Acer palmatum is doing its thing too. These pics were taken at another local shrine.

RedMaplesHis2.jpg

RedMaplesHis3.jpg

RedMaplesHis4.jpg

What fall show would be complete without a colorful fall orchid as well? Here is the native Eria japonica prepping for winter - hands down it has the nicest fall foliage of any of my orchids, including all the terrestrials.

EriaJaponicaFall09.jpg

More fall shots coming soon!

excellent shots Tom!!!! 2 of my favorites: I have some maples in my garden, and used to have a gingko ( but it had no good roots and has been killed by a strong wind blow:eek:). Nevertheless I still have some small ones :) ! Jean

Beautiful...

Who is Mr. Uoka by the way ?

Great pictures!!! :clap: I have (it's my girlfriend's to be more precise) a maple young tree that has yellow leaves!!! We also have some Ginkos (they are very young) in the city as decorative plants alongside the pavements that I go and pick their leaves and dry them... :) They are very good as decorating materials.

Beautiful pics!! I'll take all the fall color I can get! Thanks for sharing!

Wow, Tom. You have a lot of color there in this first week of December. Our trees have been leafless for a month, and are now in their skeletal, drab state.

It's such a beautiful place and the plants are gorgeous too!
Here, as Dot said, all is drab and leafless now.
Snow will fly tonight. I'm hoping not too much of it will land! :rollhappy:

Eh? Not sure what you're referring to....

Fukuoka, the name of the city and prefecture, roughly translates as "happy hills".

Apparently something happened in the ancient times to Mr. Uoka hence the city name :D:D:D

Sorry, another stupid joke :evil:

Latest posts

Back