Fukuoka Orchid Exhibition

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Yet another orchid show in Japan, this one a mere week after the Grand Prix. Much more humble and local, but still very nice with plants rivaling those at the Grand Prix. Fukuoka used to have a smaller version of the Tokyo show in the sports arena here (Fukuoka Yahoo Dome), but the financial crisis of the late 2000's put the kibosh on that. So a local nursery took up the torch and with help from nurseries and organizations around Japan, started hosting this show that they named the Orchid Exhibition Fukuoka. Currently it is in its second year.

Fukuoka Orchid Show

CWalkerianaBB.jpg

thanks for sharing Tom.

from what I have heard there used to be a few more dome shows that have all ceased. I do love the Tokyo Dome show, hope to make it again next year.

Wonderful presentation and such vivid photography! This
smaller show is the kind I like to attend...not so crowded
and each plant clearly visible. What plants came home with you???

Thanks for sharing and thanks for the time you take to edit these wonderful videos. All of us who can not attend to a show simply because in our region are none do appreciate!

thanks for sharing Tom.

from what I have heard there used to be a few more dome shows that have all ceased. I do love the Tokyo Dome show, hope to make it again next year.

The Fukuoka Dome show certainly got axed. It's last year was 2008. I was lucky enough to see it in 2005, 2006, and 2007 though. 2005 was exciting because there was a massive earthquake that weekend (magnitude 7.0) on Saturday night. People who were there during the quake said orchids were flying everywhere!

Thank you.
So what does the winner drive off with? A bicycle?

You can't drive a bicycle! Seriously, I'm sure there was some prize money, but nothing along the lines of the Tokyo show.

Are the variegated catts easy to grow?

No idea. I'd guess no more difficult than most variegated orchids - probably more susceptible to leaf die off.

Wonderful presentation and such vivid photography! This
smaller show is the kind I like to attend...not so crowded
and each plant clearly visible. What plants came home with you???

It was pretty mellow. The only plant I bought was a neo - 'Komachihime' - a dwarf growing form of 'Nishidemiyako', but not as fancy as 'Tamanishiki'. I was really tempted to buy a huge Aerangis fastuosa that had 5 flower stalks, but I resisted. The cold winter temps at my house would not be to its liking.

Latest posts

Back