Expecting

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Eric Muehlbauer

I thought I had posted this, but I guess I hadn't. I won this P.gardneri in a Slippertalk auction about a year ago.....this is how it looks now. I'll post again when the blooms open. Take care, Eric

Nice gardneri Eric but I'm curious about the Paph back and to the left with such a deep pot. What size is the pot and how are the roots on that plant?

Ray Rands Pots

See the name - Ray Rands Pots - Don't worry about it - Thats why he created it - He tried to eliminate depth thoughts - because the root base had to set on the middle of the cone -j

That pot on the left has a Candor Rose Regency....micranthum x gardneri (or wilhelmiinae...or something in the "praestans" group). I repotted it in April...if its in a pot that size, that's how long the roots were. I prefer deep pots on paphs, and always plant into the smallest pot that fits when possible. Its a "paphpot"...open bottomed, with only mesh. It did poorly in the summer and had to go into the shade, where it recovered. Now its close under the lights. The gardneri is developing quickly..each week I move it lower to accomodate the spikes. Take care, Eric

Eric, I have this exact same sib cross (my tag says "7400" just like yours!), I got mine from Dennis d'Allesandro. A year ago it was in bud but blasted due to paint fumes when I had my house painted (a lesson I will not forget). Hoping for another spike someday soon! Am I correct in believing that gardneri is a synonym for wilhelminae? I like gardneri better, easier to pronounce!

I think gardneri is synonymous with praestans and glanduliferum....I believe that wilhelminiae is regarded as a valid, separate species. Interestingly, this plant is smaller than many of the wilhelminiae's I've seen...and they are supposed to be the small ones. I'll know when it opens, but I belive a major difference is that gardneri/praestans/glanduliferum is yellowish in background, while wil. is whitish. So far, these buds look yellowish to me. I'll post a pic when the buds open. The spikes are already way taller than when that pic was taken 2 weeks ago. Take care, Eric

Back