Every year the same: bud is dying

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same problem as you do with my Paph wardii. This would be the 5th time that it failed to flower. Lots of healty roots, nice fat leaves, etc....

I think it is my night time temperature that maybe too high for this temperature. I decide to move it into a shadier place to see if it helps.

Paphman910

Ricky
Just a bit of my own experience with Paphs. I noticed you are growing them in spag. I was taught by my mentor (a ST member)who blooms the devil out of Paphs to use small bark, sponge rk, charcoal and repot yearly. Keeping the pot size the same in most cases. True the watering has to increase but our results are pleasing. Again...just my singular experience.
Best
Jim

Maybe the solution is to buy many more of them, and from all different sellers, or buy one that is already in bloom at a show (if it does not flower again, you will know definitely it is your condition and not the particular clone's weakness)
Some plants may bloom better or easier to grow than the rest of the bunch (even sibblings from the same parents).

Last edited:
Ricky ....I noticed you are growing them in spag.

Jim, I did not. The moss on the pictures ist typical wood moss that ist growing on top of every potting mix (bark, CHC, lava). Nearly all of my plants (mounted or potted) are covered with different mosses. Seems like humility and light levels are high enough in my terrariums.

Lava will not be a solution here, because it has a low pH. It is just the opposite of limestone.

Thanks for your note, I will keep that in my mind.
The plant is now in another habitat with lower light level, lower temperature, higher humility and in a new substrate. If it still has the same problems I will have another possibility to change something.

Update

This time the new bud made it to flower. Looks like the key was lower light and a little bit lower temperatures. No problems using lava, my fertilizer has enough Ca and Mg. The new leaves are much larger than the old ones.
The flower is far from being perfect but better than nothing. ;)

Paphiopedilum%20vietnamense%2011.jpg

Paphiopedilum%20vietnamense%2012.jpg

Latest posts

Back