Every year the same: bud is dying

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky

Reaction score
My P. vietnamense is growing very well. Every year a new bud comes out, reaches about 10 cm lenght and than stop growing.
Than the leaves of a new shoot came out and the bud is dying:

Paphiopedilum vietnamense 07.jpg

I thought that the root maybe in a bad condition but they look perfect:

Paphiopedilum vietnamense 08.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Greetings from Germany in spring ... Ricky

I can't give any advice but that would surely make me cry.

I hope that some of the more experienced growers here can help you out.

I must compliment you on the roots that the plant has though. :D

Could it be too much fertilizer? Especially nitrogen? If so, that may send the message to the plant that it should abort flowering and start a new growth.

Are you growing under lights?

Yes, under fluorescent light (daylight type) at about 6000 lux in a terrarium at 60-80% RH and room temperature (18-23°C in winter, 20-30° in midsummer).

Could it be too much fertilizer?

It get the same fertilizer than all other paphs and they are doing well. This is the only one where the buds are dying.

According to the culture indications in Orchidwiz, this species grow at an average night temp between 8-11°C in winter. It should also grow drier in winter with little or no fertilizer until the new growth start. The humidity level is right. It may be that your vietnamense needs a really cool period in winter in order to flower. Hope this help. :)

Vietnamense hasn't done the 'stall then blast' thing for us yet. Malipoense and armeniacum do this and I can usually trace it to something environmental- too cool, too hot, too dry, not humid enough... Plus the long time it takes for them to fully elongate the spike opens them up to such issues compared to plants that send out a spike and mature it rapidly. From the plant, it does look a bit on the pale side. I'd juice it up with some Cal Mag (vietnamense does like calcium and magnesium in its diet).

Which pic is closest to the actual colour of the leaves? On seeing the first pic I thought you may be growing it to bright. I have seen that others on this forum have flowered these in warm tropical conditions but I do wonder if the plants are being pushed to hard to remain in growth.
Our house is within 15kms of where vietnamense was first discovered. Winter minimums are as low as +- 4C and are very dry. Summer the temps can get up to the high 30s, 36-38 C. We grow our vietnamense under shade cloth and the plants experience the extremes of weather mentioned above.
Regards, Mick

I also have the same comment on the lights. Leaves aren't dark enough for a vietnamense. Maybe too bright. So try for one year with reduced lux, say 4-5000lux??.

plants that live in extremes depend on cold nights or seasons to allow the plant to create and then store energy. if it doesn't get cool then the plant uses up it's energy. armeniacums are in a climate like this, though some people have been able to grow them quickly in home environments. arm's environment from what i've seen from here is cold and bright in winter, so it can create energy (bright light) but store it up (cool temps)

The elder leaves are absolutely not green/dark enough, but the colour of the starter looks all right. That means that it isn't a problem of light. So I think feeding isn't all right and the starter has to eat the old leaves. I would try to reduce the acid in the potting mix and give much more lime to that plant. I would add limestones to the mix, 1/4 to 1/2 of the bark.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back