Euchile citrina ( Prostechea karwinsky)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So lovely flower and plant. This plant is my oldest plant that I inherited from my mother. At first I said to her, that I don't want it, because I will kill it. That was 2004, if I remember correctly. It's still kicking 😄 My mother bought it in the 1970s, so it's quite old already. I do love it.

Lovely… we awarded one here at the Costa Rica show too. First time I saw real life. Nice citrus scent.

It is now a valid species according to Kew as Prosthecea karwinskii.

Lovely… we awarded one here at the Costa Rica show too. First time I saw real life. Nice citrus scent.

It is now a valid species according to Kew as Prosthecea karwinskii.

So, it's back to Prostechea again. That karwinskii part is news to me.
Yes, it really has a lovely citrus scent. I remember, when still ordering the AOS Magazine, that someone was awarded for this plant having four flowers at the same inflorescense. Which was unbelievable! Atleast if I understood it correctly. I should still have that award magazine around.

Lovley plant!
There is a grower somewhere in the Uk that grows them like cabbages with many many blooms. He grows them cold in the winter with his cacti, minimum is just above freezing, with lots of sun. Summer is coolish too with lots of sun and air.

Good job, Istvan ... already a single flower is a feast for the eyes ..... hopefully one day you will have a big plant with many flowers ... !!

It can very well be either Prosthechea citrina or karwinskii. There is a difference albeit quite subtle.
There’s a big difference in the lip size. The citrina lip spreads open while the karwinskii lip is always tubular and not spread open. That’s how we could tell the difference in judging. Am I correct?

First one is citrina, second is karwinskii.

19074EB3-0975-45B4-B7FF-E56D96C70605.jpeg68C7804A-9B83-4D8A-A093-761C9060D087.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s right. I have both mariae and citrina/karwinskii but I must say that mariae is one of the most beautiful flowers I can imagine.
I have them both too, and both are flowering every year. My citrina does not devide itself, I've tried, but it always makes just one growth per year, and have not succeeded with trying to get new growth from older bulbs. My marie again, she is producing several new growths every year. As you Arne said, though the colors are only white and green, and later yellowish brown and white, it is beautiful. The lip is big, it has a nice scent. Mine has started to grow this years inflorescenses already. How is yours?

There’s a big difference in the lip size. The citrina lip spreads open while the karwinskii lip is always tubular and not spread open. That’s how we could tell the difference in judging. Am I correct?

First one is citrina, second is karwinskii.

View attachment 39782View attachment 39783
Are you sure that is the only difference? I had this discussion with Marni Turkel once and she wasn't sure either at the time. But maybe you are right Leslie.

I have them both too, and both are flowering every year. My citrina does not devide itself, I've tried, but it always makes just one growth per year, and have not succeeded with trying to get new growth from older bulbs. My marie again, she is producing several new growths every year. As you Arne said, though the colors are only white and green, and later yellowish brown and white, it is beautiful. The lip is big, it has a nice scent. Mine has started to grow this years inflorescenses already. How is yours?
I think you are right about the tendency for mariae to put out more than one growth per season. My mariae became so big that I divided into three plants. My citrina, which does have two growths now finally, is blooming right now and mariae is starting to put out some emerging flower stems.

I think you are right about the tendency for mariae to put out more than one growth per season. My mariae became so big that I divided into three plants. My citrina, which does have two growths now finally, is blooming right now and mariae is starting to put out some emerging flower stems.
Nice, if you have finally two growth with your citrina. My citrina always starts showing signs of developing inflorescense in March, and the flower opens at June. It lasts guite a long time. I have read some people saying that their citrina flowers in autumn or early winter time, after the growth has matured. Not mine atleast, and not yours either, I believe, or Istvans.

Latest posts

Back