Early K-lite results

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect the improvement is due to high humidity.

Or more explicitely water available at roots. This Phrag does great with wet feet. So dry vs wet could be a huge difference.

As far as low/high K and longifolium comparisons, I have a big longifolium in a 8or 10 inch pot for several years.

Always thought it was doing good up until going low K. Leaves got 20% longer and don't see burned leaf tips any more. Leaves also darker, and firmer substance. I haven't seen any significant change in blooming characteristics (which I always thought was fine to start with).

On the other hand the plant is definitely not dying of K deficiency.

Yet another unscientific anecdote.

Humidity is higher because the compost is constantly wet/moist because it is about 6-12 inches thick. Kind of like in any natural environment, moisture laiden air is heavier than dryer air.

NO, it is not. The opposite is true, in fact.

That's why low pressure means high humidity, and high pressure means low humidity. Water molecules are lighter than the N2 and O2 molecules they displace, so the higher the humidity the lighter the air. However, very humid air may "feel" heavier....but its not.

Ok, you guys can lay under my tree in the compost and tell me it's not more humid...:poke:

Ok, you guys can lay under my tree in the compost and tell me it's not more humid...:poke:

I am glad you are not a pilot! High humidity causes air density to be lower, which affects lift, and needs to be calculated in when you work out loads for takeoff. Being in Hawaii you might have noticed that your flight takes longer to lift off (warm humid air) as opposed to somewhere cool and dry, or even warm and dry.
When humidity is higher near the ground, that is just because the evaporation is from the ground layer and a gradient of moisture content will develop.

I thought I'd give an update as it has been a while.

The much better bloomings continue, right now it's mostly my decidious Dendrobiums in bloom, and as I saw with the Catts, the number of spikes and the number of blooms are greatly increased over previous years - enough that it isn't explained by one more year of growth - imo.

I did do about two weeks worth of high P, from bone meal, and after that settled now into a different fertilizer formula. I am fertilizing at a little bit higher strength, and actively attempting to fertilize at least three times a week. The fertilizer is now 75% K-lite, 25% MSU.

Since then I've only had three Catts start spikes, one has fully bloomed, and so far, I'm not seeing the older leaf drop on these three.

So far the red Hoya leaves have not recovered though.

So I'm going to continue on.

I have not yet gotten a TDS meter, I've looked, and will probably settle on a combo TDS/pH meter, but that is going to have to wait until after I move. Especially as my new place is well water, so I will be collecting rain water.

I thought I'd give an update as it has been a while.

The much better bloomings continue, right now it's mostly my decidious Dendrobiums in bloom, and as I saw with the Catts, the number of spikes and the number of blooms are greatly increased over previous years - enough that it isn't explained by one more year of growth - imo.

I did do about two weeks worth of high P, from bone meal, and after that settled now into a different fertilizer formula. I am fertilizing at a little bit higher strength, and actively attempting to fertilize at least three times a week. The fertilizer is now 75% K-lite, 25% MSU.

Since then I've only had three Catts start spikes, one has fully bloomed, and so far, I'm not seeing the older leaf drop on these three.

So far the red Hoya leaves have not recovered though.

So I'm going to continue on.

I have not yet gotten a TDS meter, I've looked, and will probably settle on a combo TDS/pH meter, but that is going to have to wait until after I move. Especially as my new place is well water, so I will be collecting rain water.

Cool

Are you still letting all the pots completely drain, or do you have trays under the pots to hold up some water/fert?

We've been getting plenty of rain in TN are you still normal for high rainfall?

Cool

Are you still letting all the pots completely drain, or do you have trays under the pots to hold up some water/fert?

We've been getting plenty of rain in TN are you still normal for high rainfall?

No, I couldn't bring myself to do it. With my traveling, I was just too worried about them drying out.

Yes, rainfall is normal, but we are now in between our two rainy seasons, so only getting storms twice a week. Once June comes, we will be back in the lots and lots of rain.

But, I've been fertilizing if I have to even if the pots are not completely dry. Yesterday we had the rains, but I will fertilize today still, and then let them dry.

I also am planning on supplementing with bone meal about every 3 - 4 weeks, as I can.

No, I couldn't bring myself to do it. With my traveling, I was just too worried about them drying out.

Yes, rainfall is normal, but we are now in between our two rainy seasons, so only getting storms twice a week. Once June comes, we will be back in the lots and lots of rain.

But, I've been fertilizing if I have to even if the pots are not completely dry. Yesterday we had the rains, but I will fertilize today still, and then let them dry.

I also am planning on supplementing with bone meal about every 3 - 4 weeks, as I can.

What does the new growth look like on the Catts?

Here are some update:

First is cattl. bicolos semialba, almost died because of rot problem. Treatment was desinfection, new potting media and K-lite "diet". Pics tell everything.

Second is my kovachii, many-many roots and a huge new growth.

All I can tell about K-lite effect is the enourmous root induction.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I know you have told us before but what kind of bark is the kovachii planted in? Is it orchiata or kiwi bark or something else?

Fleurs d'ecorces. Classified pine bark from France. Name of firm maybe Cenfora???? I don't know, I order it via a Hungarian gardening, but there is olny French writing on the bag. I can't speak French. I mix it with clay balls and Akadama.

dodidoki, if you post a pic of the bag, I can translate. ;)

From what I googled, the firm should be "Cenfora - Smurfit Kappa Comptoir du Pin". I haven't found a retail option and no website either… Smurfit Kappa has big corporate websites, as it's a paper making company.

It's written on "flower of bark, bark of pinus maritimus", in French.

I can't see what's on the side, but part of it is the same seemingly.

Latest posts

Back