Disa uniflora v. flava

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Had this Disa recently come into bloom under lights in my basement. Growing in a 6" clay community pot. Seeds were sown in September 2016; so, just 22 months from seed sowing to bloom on this one.
DSC08437%20-%202%20Disa%20uniflora%20v.%20flava.JPG

Thanks everyone!

The medium used to sow the seeds was damp peatmoss.

I just checked. The photo is linked from my website on Webs.com. However, they are having some sort of technical trouble.....and they're working on it. Try again later and hopefully by then, the glitch will be resolved.

Last edited:
There was someone who told me they germinated disa seed in the past on a brick set into a tray of water
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like a good idea. I must try that. The thing with peat moss is that green moss will begin to grow and overwhelm the tiny Disa seedlings. So, growing Disa from seed on peat is a lot of work to keep transferring the tiny plants....or, just let the moss kill most seedlings and be left with only a few.

What a fast growing Orchid! I wished my Paphs would grow as fast as your Disa!

Wow! Great color, very rarely seen variety! That's a quick turnaround from sowing only a couple years ago. I'm trying a number of disa seeds on Western W9.5 with coconut but nothing has germinated yet after 4 months. Maybe I'll try peatmoss next.

I have an alba seedling growing that should be ready to bloom by next year. Let me know if you'd like to swap pollen.

Wow! Great color, very rarely seen variety! That's a quick turnaround from sowing only a couple years ago. I'm trying a number of disa seeds on Western W9.5 with coconut but nothing has germinated yet after 4 months. Maybe I'll try peatmoss next.

I have an alba seedling growing that should be ready to bloom by next year. Let me know if you'd like to swap pollen.

Dan, Disa seed germinates in days. I put some on peat 2 days ago and this evening, with the use of a magnifying glass, I can see little green "orbs" have developed inside the seed husks. In a couple more days to a week, they'll be tiny bright green protocorms that will be visible without the need of a magnifying glass. If you have no germination after 4 months, they're dead. Disa seed MUST be sown immediately after harvest. It loses viability very, very, very quickly. A few weeks and you'd be lucky to get any germination at all. If your seed was old, it likely was dead before you flasked it. Sorry! :(

Sure, when your alba is in bloom, post or send me a photo and we can decide then if we want to do a pollen swap. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back