Dend. cuthbertsonii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best growers of this species are in the US so you should consult them for the best advice but the way I grow it:
It is on a slab of black treefern. They often grow on treefern trunks in the wild.
The moss was planted (forced in between the fern fibres) around the roots as they seem to like it. I think it protects them from drying too much between waterings more than anything else.
They need bright light. These plants often are in full sun for part of the day in the habitat. These get very bright light or the first half of the day. For the rest they are shaded.
I give them my standard g/house temps (about 15C min to about 30 max)
They can handle hot temps but should cool down every night. 10C would be better than 15C I think.
I submerge them in a bucket of rain water whenever the moss appears dry. (dull in colour) Drying out is ok as long as it does not last more than a day or so.
The feeding should be about 1/4 what you would normally give to stronger orchids. I use a combination of nitrate based hydroponic fertilizer and urea based orchid fert with the Cal nitrate N always lower than the urea N.
They are fed about every 4th watering.
A fan blows on them 24/7 They are misted whenever I walk past them with a mister in my hand (which is most days)

Thank you for the info.
I have never tried this because of what I heard.
I'll just enjoy your pictures.

I need a greenhouse. :)

Mike- how cool is summer night temperature? I think the temperature you gave is not of summer? Unless you have a special cooler in your greenhouse like some nursery specializing in cool species have.

At Parkside orchids, the cool greenhouse was surprisingly cool in the middle of the cooking hot summer day!
It was rather large greenhouse and the cooler was on the back, and cool growers were all very close to the cooler.
And others away from the cooler. It was like dream and I was imaging in my mind how I could grow all the cool little and not so little things I could cultivate if I had one! :)

Then came back outside to the melting reality. lol

Mike- how cool is summer night temperature? I think the temperature you gave is not of summer? Unless you have a special cooler in your greenhouse like some nursery specializing in cool species have.

That's most of the year. Maybe 17C overnight in summer. It is rare that we get 20's during the night.

So basically, On average, 15C to 23C winter, 17C to 28/30C summer. (not including extremes of course).

Latest posts

Back