Dend. cuthbertsonii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice!
One day I will get the nerve to give this one a shot.

People seem to grow these all kinds of ways. I even read that some growers grow in sphag and cut all the roots off each year! I think we should keep in mind that some clones may be very week or delicate as I've lost a couple as well.
As travellers to the habitat know they very often grow in/with live moss so I tried to mimic this by taking a slab of treefern and establishing a thick layer of moss BEFORE planting the orchid. you can do this by using tweezers to plant tufts of moss in the piece of fern and laying it on its side and keeping it wet. ( use a thick cushion type of moss ) It may take a year to cover the fern, then you can plant into this and hang it up.
This worked well for my plant and it started to spread quickly. The great thing about the moss is that you can tell when it needs watering by its condition. If its colour changes, you throw it in a bucket of water.
This plant gets 'Cattleya' light and temps and lots of air plus VERY weak feed.

People seem to grow these all kinds of ways. I even read that some growers grow in sphag and cut all the roots off each year! I think we should keep in mind that some clones may be very week or delicate as I've lost a couple as well.
As travellers to the habitat know they very often grow in/with live moss so I tried to mimic this by taking a slab of treefern and establishing a thick layer of moss BEFORE planting the orchid. you can do this by using tweezers to plant tufts of moss in the piece of fern and laying it on its side and keeping it wet. ( use a thick cushion type of moss ) It may take a year to cover the fern, then you can plant into this and hang it up.
This worked well for my plant and it started to spread quickly. The great thing about the moss is that you can tell when it needs watering by its condition. If its colour changes, you throw it in a bucket of water.
This plant gets 'Cattleya' light and temps and lots of air plus VERY weak feed.
What a great idea! Makes me want to try this plant again. Yours is gorgeous!

Great specinem!!!! And thanks for explaining your growing technique for those !!! Very tempting to go for another try :) !!! Jean

Back