Cypripedium parviflorum var. parviflorum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
For better or worse this plant that I have had since 2008 started into growth in my refrigerator 1 month early resulting in a very early spring in my plant room. I was shocked at how many growths and flowers it produced. There are 8 growths and 10 flowers: two growths have "doubles".

Cypripediumparviflorumvarparviflorumflower03-06-2013_zpscec1d770.jpg
[/IMG]

Cypripediumparviflorumvarparviflorumplant03-06-2013_zpsf1e61aea.jpg
[/IMG]

That's pretty hilarious! What else are you cooking in the fridge?! :poke:

Only Cypripediums: segawai, kentuckiense, and guttatum. The parviflorum was kept closer to the mustard than the others. Maybe it just had enough?

I remember seeing your plant in previous posts. It is looking wonderful - clearly a happy Cyp!

About storage in refrigerators. If you put plants in your normal fridge you likely will have problems. The issue is spiking temperature as a result of opening it. You'd be amazed how high the temperature can go after opening the door and also how long it takes to cool down again. I learned this working in a climate controlled lab where we monitored temperature - we did a few experiments to see how much opening the door to the outside influenced the lab and the results were remarkable, such that we needed to establish a protocol to mitigate the effects of opening the door!

So, get a dedicated fridge for your plants and try not to go in there very often.

I remember seeing your plant in previous posts. It is looking wonderful - clearly a happy Cyp!

About storage in refrigerators. If you put plants in your normal fridge you likely will have problems. The issue is spiking temperature as a result of opening it. You'd be amazed how high the temperature can go after opening the door and also how long it takes to cool down again. I learned this working in a climate controlled lab where we monitored temperature - we did a few experiments to see how much opening the door to the outside influenced the lab and the results were remarkable, such that we needed to establish a protocol to mitigate the effects of opening the door!

So, get a dedicated fridge for your plants and try not to go in there very often.

Thanks for the suggestion. If that were an option for me, I'd do it. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment with no room to spare.

what about a wine refrigerator with a glass door that you could cover with black plastic; when you want to see if anything is sprouting, you lift up the black plastic and shine a flashlight in there quickly.
you could use the frig as the base of a table or some other shelves, or a cutting board/microwave. in my kitchen (which is pretty small) I have my chest freezer where most would have a tiny table, and I use it as a prep table, eat in the living room

Back