Psychopsis papilio var. aureum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Psychopsis papilio var. aureum with both spikes in bloom together plus a third spike well on its way & a new growth starting out šŸ˜

The two spikes usually play tag team where a flower bud on one spike starts to open as the other one starts to wilt.
Bought it was a large seedling in early 2020. Came in 3in round plastic pot with peat based mix. Been blooming since early 2021. Repotted into power grade orchiata earlier this year.
Grown by south window with sheer curtain.
IMG_2008.jpeg
IMG_2006.jpeg
IMG_2007.jpeg

Very nice! I have one of these myself that currently has with two spikes and is in bloom . I purchased it a few months ago already in spike but no flowers at the time.

I've read that Psychopsis really hate having their roots disturbed. I'd like to repot mine at some point but I'm worried about it not liking the repot and the spikes aborting. Do you have any pointers for me on how I can repot without it resenting the change?

Very nice! I have one of these myself that currently has with two spikes and is in bloom . I purchased it a few months ago already in spike but no flowers at the time.

I've read that Psychopsis really hate having their roots disturbed. I'd like to repot mine at some point but I'm worried about it not liking the repot and the spikes aborting. Do you have any pointers for me on how I can repot without it resenting the change?
I wouldn't read too much into those "old sayings" šŸ˜‚;)
With that said, trying not to disturb the roots too much is a better way to go. I usually repot plants by sliding the whole thing into a large pot and fill the gap with new & larger grade potting mix. Done! Easy peasy!
If old potting mix come off easily by gently shaking, then I'd do that also. I just don't go picking every little particles and then wash the roots off and such.
I say repot it if you think it needs it. Don't worry. I don't believe a healthy plant suddenly declines just because you repotted it. It has never happened to me.

Psychopsis papilio var. aureum ā€˜Patti Leeā€™ just opened its first flower on the third spike last night.
I was hoping to capture three flowers in bloom together but the oldest one dropped off two days ago. The second flower has been on for nearly a month and looks rather tired now.

IMG_2362.jpeg

A hardworking specie, that tries to bloom year around. The first one I had years ago was very vigorous and I don't remember how many bloom spikes it had. One day I discovered it had a scale infestation...Boisduval scale I know it as now. I didn't try to treat, I just through the plant away. I replaced that plant years later (they are kind of hard to find) and the one I have now has two spikes that bloom intermittently. It isn't a aureum variety, they are even harder to find!

Superglue helps lol.
Well, yes and no. Unlike some orchids like Phrags where the perfectly fresh looking flowers just fall off when it's time, the flowers on this plant go crisp dry while still being attached before falling off. Oh, well...One day, I will see all three or more flowers open at the same time.
It's bound to happen! :)

A hardworking specie, that tries to bloom year around. The first one I had years ago was very vigorous and I don't remember how many bloom spikes it had. One day I discovered it had a scale infestation...Boisduval scale I know it as now. I didn't try to treat, I just through the plant away. I replaced that plant years later (they are kind of hard to find) and the one I have now has two spikes that bloom intermittently. It isn't a aureum variety, they are even harder to find!
I wonder why no one mericloned and distributed the aureum or album varieties of this species.
I know there are some hybrids readily available. Unfortunately I do not like orange or rusty brown colors on flowers, so naturally I do not like Psychopsis other than this yellow variety.
And this is a selfing of Canary Clove. I only ever saw seedlings of the same batch that this plant came from, plus one 25 years old specimen I saw at the local show earlier this year which I was allowed to harvest the pollen of and put on this plant. Unfortunately, I was away for quite some time in the summer and the developing seed capsule failed.
I did selfed this plant (I know I hate to self the selfings, but had no choice) and the seeds are in the lab.
Fingers crossed!!

I hope your new replacement plant grows into a nice specimen like the older one you lost.

Latest posts

Back