Cypripedium Hybrid Number Explosion - Lots of Complex Hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The first Cypripedium hybrid was registered only 22 years ago and for several years only a few hybridizers were active. Now there are more every year and the number of registered hybrids is growing rapidly:
cyphybridgraph.jpg

Now that many primary hybrids are available, complex hybrids are appearing:
cyphybridgraphcomplex.jpg

All of the complex hybrids so far are of three species. Cyp Oma Alli and Cyp Sam Saulys may initially appear to have more diversity of parentage since each is a hybrid of two registered hybrids, but in each case the hybrids have common parents. Indeed, Oma Alli is in the strictest sense, simply Cyp xventricosum:

Oma Alli = Cyp Tanja Pinkepank x Cyp xventricosum = (Cyp macranthos var rebunense x Cyp calceolus) x (Cyp macranthos x Cyp calceolus)
Sam Saulys = Cyp Gisela x Cyp xandrewsii = (Cyp macranthos x Cyp parviflorum) x (Cyp candidum x Cyp parviflorum)

It will is exciting to contemplate what directions flower/plant size and shape will take as more complex hybrids are registered!

Ron

I need some! :D
Hopefully the impressive article on cyps by Tim Brooks in the latest AOS Orchids magazine will generate more interest/sales.

Tim's article has some very nice plants! I read it this morning. I am very worried however about his recommendations for growing medium. While a few people have long-term success with organics, they are the very small minority. Most people trying to emulate his medium will quickly have soggy roots followed by dead plants. Inorganic medium is far safer and leads to much better long term success.

Those are some very nice kentuckiense though!

Ron

It will be interesting to see what folks get when they try to aim for specific appearance. The primary hybrid era will be slowing - although there are still a lot to go - about 400 - 500 primaries depending upon how RHS defines varieties within a species. Something that show be done is to do F2 crosses among the primary hybrids - that would be expected to result in lots of diversity. I have some coming along but they are young yet.

Ron

Latest posts

Back