Cypripedium acuale in-situ

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Cheyenne, from what I've heard C. reginae is either critically endangered or extirpated in Maryland these days. I'd look in Garret County in The Glades peatland since it has appropriate habitat still. Not to dampen your interest, but C. reginae has undergone great range restriction over the last 40 years, in your region in particular. For example, prior to 1980 Pennsylvania had 11 counties with known populations and with only 4 counties sited afterward. Who knows what's left today. Habitat modification coupled with deer populations totally out of control seem to be the main reasons for the loss.

See this thread about the Maryland population of C. candidum:

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12161&highlight=cypripedium+candidum

Very nice!
Not so far from our home, we had a nice isolated batch of acuale.
The park put up Do Not Disturb Native Ladyslipper Orchid signs.
The next blooming, off the cuff, I would say 75% of the plants were being dug up.
Kinda sucks when one is trying to do progression photos.

One might want to keep exact locations to PM's...

Thanks for sharing these pictures!

Very nice!
Not so far from our home, we had a nice isolated batch of acuale.
The park put up Do Not Disturb Native Ladyslipper Orchid signs.
The next blooming, off the cuff, I would say 75% of the plants were being dug up.
Kinda sucks when one is trying to do progression photos.

One might want to keep exact locations to PM's...

Some people are so .... I don't know how to describe them. Leave these rare plants alone! If anyone knows where I can see native Nebraska orchids in their wild habitat I'd love to know who to contact or where to find them. There is almost no untouched, natural, virgin land in this state... Farmers and ranchers basically destroyed the natural areas. And they continue to destroy them.....:mad: They're all money hungry, its amazing to the lengths they go to to squeeze every penny out of the land and make every excuse they can.

sadly signs that say keep away from protected things usually draw people with shovels and the like or lawnmowers; maybe better off to put up a sign that says beware toxic radioactive poison ivy or something like that, or just put up a big fence (I used to tell a retired park ranger up north if he was going to keep replacing yellow ladyslippers that were dug up, with new seedlings, he should at least put some land mines or quicksand around them, and this was way out in a wilderness area that the shovelers were going after)

Very nice pics!! I have a few rescued ones that are doing real good. Hopefully they will come up this spring. I will be getting a couple of other species this spring for breeding, to add to the few I have now!!

Latest posts

Back