Cypripedium 2013

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cypripedium sabine

Sanguinaria Canadensis multiplex and cypripedium

Close up

4 Seedlings cypripedium wenginq

2 Seedlings cypripedium Uta ( 2012 )

the difference between cypripedium japonicum – cypripedium formosanum

the japonicum stem has hair – the formosanum stem has no hair

Cypripedium japonicum

cypripedium formosanum

the difference between cypripedium japonicum – cypripedium formosanum

the japonicum stem has hair – the formosanum stem has no hair

No, that is wrong. There are also japonicum without hairs.

macranthos seedling ( 3 year )

left: cypripedium tibeticum – center: sanguinaria canadensis multiplex - right: cypripedium macranthos

cypripedium guttatum

in Buds
cypripedium Aki

cypripedium Gisela

cypripedium Rascal

cypripedium planipetalum

USDA Zone 6b/7a you can grow both . In winter I cover the cypripediums with Plexiglas. I'm not a fan of pot culture, my cypripediums are planted outside in the garden . If it is not cold enough in the winter, guttatum does not flower.

Is japonicum or formosanum easier to grow? I'm in zone 6b/7a, so I believe I can grow both.

Linus, you can grow both, but by far formosanum is the easier plant. It has a bit more trouble planted outside in areas that get late frosts since it likes to grow early, starting in April or even March depending on the warmth. It also is problematic in colder winter areas. I'd say in the eastern US it is optimised for zone 7, but could be grown from zones 6-8. On the other hand japonicum is better suited for colder winters (to zone 5 at least), but is much more finicky. Never let it dry out, not even a little. Both prefer a more organic soil compared to most Cyps.

Cypripedium henryi, after three years in raised bed ( 2010 – 2013 )

another cypripedium henryi

cypripedium Michael

No, that is wrong. There are also japonicum without hairs.

W. Eccarius, die Orchideengattung , page 166 : " schliesslich treten gelegenlich Pflanzen mit unbehaartem Stengel und Blütenstandsstiel auf , glabrum ", " there are occasionally plants with hairless stems and inflorescence , glabrum "

a lack evidence ( Photo ) to support his claim. :D

Your Cyps are looking nice Hakone.

W. Eccarius, die Orchideengattung , page 166 : " schliesslich treten gelegenlich Pflanzen mit unbehaartem Stengel und Blütenstandsstiel auf , glabrum ", " there are occasionally plants with hairless stems and inflorescence , glabrum "

a lack evidence ( Photo ) to support his claim. :D

I've not seen any of this variety, but it is recognized by the Japanese government as a true form. It was found in Ibaraki Prefecture just north of the Tokyo area.

Here is a link to the collection sheet for it and a couple photographs of models of plants. I can't find photos of live material though...

http://ameblo.jp/tyuiro/entry-10060734250.html

Your Cyps are looking nice Hakone.

I've not seen any of this variety, but it is recognized by the Japanese government as a true form. It was found in Ibaraki Prefecture just north of the Tokyo area.

Here is a link to the collection sheet for it and a couple photographs of models of plants. I can't find photos of live material though...

http://ameblo.jp/tyuiro/entry-10060734250.html

the photos are small and dark, but I see stem with hair?

USDA Zone 6b/7a you can grow both . In winter I cover the cypripediums with Plexiglas. I'm not a fan of pot culture, my cypripediums are planted outside in the garden . If it is not cold enough in the winter, guttatum does not flower.

Interesteing in begginning of the year you said, I leift them up and give them a rest in pots, and not outside.
You should not change your statement in 3 month:D

Latest posts

Back