Cyp. tissue culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from this one are clones availabel but they changing form clone to clone, they told persons and it is affected by the themp as we know it from reginae with the intense colour for some types.
It is nature....

Root tip tissue culture is absolutely impossible, if one wants to get no mutations...

As for the remaining, mutations will happen, as there are exceedingly few knowledgeable people to develop protocols that carry no risks of mutations, and they ask a very high price for consulting.

I have heard of folk being able to buy terrestrial orchids from home centers in FL.

What do you mean by "terrestrial"? Phaius and some calanthes? Isn't Florida too hot for most cyps? I've heard of folks growing good cyps in Florida, but they refrigerate them during the summer, and take them out late fall/early winter for blooms in Feb.

So, I asked my question because I was talking to a nursery here who is selling some native Cyps, and I asked where they got them. They said they got them from a broker, and the plants were from tissue culture. This didn't add up for me, and I asked more questions. They guy who owns it is nice and his company is very 'organic' and environmentally conscience, so I was hoping to have a good dialogue with him, and I am. Turns out the broker gets the plants from Holland, and the plants are divisions. I don't know the Dutch company name, but I'll try to get it. It's good to know that this kind of thing is happening here, and the plants aren't being dug up, but it is a bit of a shame that we have to get our native plants all the way from Europe!!! I really hope some Canadians will get into native orchid propagation, besides FTF. Their prices are a bit high, but unfortunately, I don't think anyone else will be able to go lower.

What do you mean by "terrestrial"? Phaius and some calanthes? Isn't Florida too hot for most cyps? I've heard of folks growing good cyps in Florida, but they refrigerate them during the summer, and take them out late fall/early winter for blooms in Feb.

there are lots of terrestrial native orchids in florida, since it is semi-tropical. i don't think there are any cyps native to florida

Latest posts

Back