Cyp. Singchii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does Dido mean by downgrading of the Unfortunately I cannot follow your thread in German.

Rick, German will become basic language for discussions on cultivating Selenipedium and Cypripedium subtropicum :wink:

downgrading is not a german word....

I mean braking down of the medium it will not longer stay in the form and will go back to its natural look like sand or soil....

Hey Dido, interesting that the breakdown of the akadama (which starts out as balls of hard clay) to a finer form actually seems to benefit the plants instead of harming them. For most other plants that is a problem with this material and one reason why it is mixed with other substrates - to keep the structure of the medium more open.

I'm fascinated to hear about what happens with all these plants - will they really become established and happy for another round of flowering, or will they succumb to fungal infection, etc. Even more interesting are the seedlings that are being produced here and there - can they be grown on out of flask, or will they too fail. I'm watching, but not buying. My pockets aren't that deep.

In the end I hope someone is successful because by the looks of it, pressure from humans on remaining populations is going to only get worse in the future. The one thing this species has going for it is its wide natural range and the tendency to grow in sporadic, small colonies - harder to find and exploit. Another good thing - they produce copious seed in the wild, or so it is said, so there is always hope that a few seedlings "get away" after a colony has been stripped of all adult and subadult plants.

A friend of mine is in southern Yunnan at the moment and he is rather floored by the humanity there - quite different from the wild, open place he had imagined.

We had a lot of tests on Selenipedium and meanwhile I am pretty sure that Selenipedium aequinoctiale is strongly dependent on fungi protection against rotting. And the native fungus will only survive in a pure mineral clay substrate but not in pot culture.
But maybe there are different fungi around supported with the same protection potency.
You can also see parts of our discussion on this field:
http://www.orchideenkultur.net/index.php?topic=5030.0

But cultivation of Cypripedium subtropicum is a complete different site.

Thanks Berthold. I bow to your experience since I have none in this matter! Interesting about the fungal link - much like some Epipactis I would surmise. Do you suspect the same issue with C. subtropicum? From what I understand the molecular studies of this species do no put them very close to Selenipedium as was first though based on gross morphology.

There are know a cross between subtropicum and reginae

There are know a cross between subtropicum and reginae

But did you heard that seeds have germinated.

I know from 2 trials where no seed germinated.

Maybe a cross with californicum or wardii should be working...

Yesterday I saw a healthy plant in Germany. You can see the shoot from 2012 and from 2013. Plant size is about 50 cm (20 inch for non metric people)

10629477354_f7ef08ed12_b.jpg

Great plant!!!Is it in sphagnum or is there sphag only on surface???

Back to selenipediums: I tried with a new one, got it in Merch and still alive, furthermure there are 2 new growths ( just started). I grow it in clear sphagnum, and sel. seems to like it.

Otherwise subtropicum is very sensitive to hot.I had two ones, first got heat shock in summer, before I set airconditioner, after setting this machine my shocked plants recovered, exept one of subtropicums and my draculas. I had a heat swich what swich on airconditioner at 28 C and swich it off at 23 C.

Great plant!!!Is it in sphagnum or is there sphag only on surface???

C.

Only on surface. Below is Seramis with 20% Kanuma. The sphagnum layer has to equalize the humidity in the substrate.

Nice one looks great is it from master P or from a diifferent source.

Looks at least nice.

I hope that someone can succesfull grow them from seed.

My rented plant is doing well at room temperature in winter time

12420605575_1a16c4e4de_o.jpg

Nice one, congrats.

There seem to be 2 diifernte types in Europe I have seen now.
One with shorter growth like yours and some with really long one.

Will be interesting if some of them start to flower

Latest posts

Back