Cyp. Singchii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cypris

I have been searching the internet for culture information about this species - does anyknow know how to grow it and as I do understand it is subtropic and will not tolerate minus celcius degrees. Which kind of soil it prefer ? and it does enjoy lime ?? I will be glad for all help:)

First it is not sure that it is subtropicum,
It is found somewhere else.
I have seen some grwoing fine, they are cultivated in Kanuma/Akadama and looked happy.
The grower told me he has 2 different types he feel, one is big and the other is compact and faster growing.
1 flowered for him after he get them but not any more. They seem to stay green for a long time, and in direct comparison with selenipedium they looked really similar at this young selenipedium, which this person grow in the same mix. He did not try how cold hardy it is. but I get told in this region it will go down clos to 0 C in the winter too.
If you search there was discussion here in this formum before.

I have been searching the internet for culture information about this species - does anyknow know how to grow it and as I do understand it is subtropic and will not tolerate minus celcius degrees. Which kind of soil it prefer ? and it does enjoy lime ?? I will be glad for all help:)

I would be interested, too.I heard about gowing in akadama/kanuma mix,too, it is a little acidic because of kanuma. In winter said to has similar conditions like cool growing paphs, eg. villosum. I would like to have one, too, so if anyone has experience, let us know, please.

Many thanks: Istvan

Thanks for information - I saw picture of it in situ - an article on internet - it does looks like the area was with a bit shadow and if I am not completely wrong I imagine that the soil is with minerals and not to coarse - I did look at the picture of the selenipedim mix and it surely must be to coarse - when one think of the other chinese Cyps most of them will grow in anything as long as there are lime and good drainage - and off course some are difficult - the small tiny ones and the one with spotted leaves :)
I have never heard of akadama/kanuma and if one could explain what this is I would be grateful - thanks.
That the xingchii must have a cool winterperiode is for sure - but does someone know how could it gets in the area it grows - I imangine subtropic but could it be more temperate ??

I would be interested, too.I heard about gowing in akadama/kanuma mix,too, it is a little acidic because of kanuma.

Many thanks: Istvan
Maybe that would be a good media for Selenipedium too. Or maybe just straight kanuma?

The soils for Selenipedium are acidic red clay.

Kanuma and Akadama are both mined products of the Kanto Region of Japan, near Tokyo. Kanuma is a weathered pumice with great water holding capacity and very good crumb structure. Akadama is fairly small red clay balls that retain good moisture as well, but eventually falls apart, making essentially mush - dangerous in a pot situation. Both are slightly acidic in reaction, but can promote great root growth in many plants. Quality products are sterilized, making them good for cuttings. Bad points - expensive outside of Japan.

BTW, plants of C. subtropicum and C. singchii in collections today are wild sourced, legally or otherwise. To give a picture - a new location is found and within a short time is stripped clean. I've not seen any plants here in Japan, or America - most seemed destined for Europe. Seed has also been exported, and I know of at least two places where seedlings have been produced, though how they will grow on to adulthood is unknown.

Subtropical to warm temperate plant IMO. Should be grown frost free.

Kanuma and Akadama are both mined products of the Kanto Region of Japan, near Tokyo. Kanuma is a weathered pumice with great water holding capacity and very good crumb structure. Akadama is fairly small red clay balls that retain good moisture as well, but eventually falls apart, making essentially mush - dangerous in a pot situation. Both are slightly acidic in reaction, but can promote great root growth in many plants.

BTW Tom was hoping you would throw in on the Selenipedium conversation. Olaf posted a pic on a Sel. species growing in Ecuador. There was a soil slough near the plant which showed a typical red clay soil (looks like anywhere in the SE US). Anyway some chem checks on (at least US) red clay soils show very acidic and nutrient poor. With your background in Eastern US plants and Japanese style culture what do you think about Selen culture?

rick as I told the same person I have seen singchii growing has selenipedium too and they are doing fine for him, every time I was back there was a new growth on them. He think the temp is a key to, he has them growing on the place with the main heat in his gorwing areas. At least this is what this perosn feels, and he is the only one I have heard till now, who has it alive for nearly 2 years, and still gowing new growth....

By the way Kanuma and Akadama you can haye in different sizes. So they mix looks like a normal cyp mix if you use the small stuff.....

rick as I told the same person I have seen singchii growing has selenipedium too and they are doing fine for him, every time I was back there was a new growth on them. He think the temp is a key to, he has them growing on the place with the main heat in his gorwing areas. At least this is what this perosn feels, and he is the only one I have heard till now, who has it alive for nearly 2 years, and still gowing new growth....

By the way Kanuma and Akadama you can haye in different sizes. So they mix looks like a normal cyp mix if you use the small stuff.....

It sounds very good! Has it flowered yet??? If yes, was there any attempt for breeding?

No flower till now, they are still small, most aim of him to keep it alive, and get it big enough for cutting it. then he will maybe give more to grow.
The culture is not perfect, but he is working on it.
Will asked on my next coffee with him if I am allowed to take a pic.
I did not make one till now.

BTW Tom was hoping you would throw in on the Selenipedium conversation. Olaf posted a pic on a Sel. species growing in Ecuador. There was a soil slough near the plant which showed a typical red clay soil (looks like anywhere in the SE US). Anyway some chem checks on (at least US) red clay soils show very acidic and nutrient poor. With your background in Eastern US plants and Japanese style culture what do you think about Selen culture?

Hey Rick, I have no idea about culturing Selenipedium outside its native range. Certainly you'll need a greenhouse since the darn things are almost tree size!

I suspect the the deep south's red clays are somewhat different from tropical ones, given their developmental history in a largely temperate climate.

As for Japanese products, akadama, a clay product, is rarely used alone, but most often mixed with other components that have better structure. It holds water and nutrients well, but tends to lose its structure over time. So. perhaps it in combination with kanuma and/or finer pumice grades, might be suitable for Selenipedium cultivation.

Having said that, C. subtropicum isn't similar to Selenipedium from what I've heard, and at this point, long term techniques for keeping it successfully haven't been ironed out. It is indeed an oddball species that probably shouldn't be handled in the same way as other members of the genus.

Hey Rick, I have no idea about culturing Selenipedium outside its native range.

We had a lot of tests on Selenipedium and meanwhile I am pretty sure that Selenipedium aequinoctiale is strongly dependent on fungi protection against rotting. And the native fungus will only survive in a pure mineral clay substrate but not in pot culture.
But maybe there are different fungi around supported with the same protection potency.
You can also see parts of our discussion on this field:
http://www.orchideenkultur.net/index.php?topic=5030.0

But cultivation of Cypripedium subtropicum is a complete different site.

We had a lot of tests on Selenipedium and meanwhile I am pretty sure that Selenipedium aequinoctiale is strongly dependent on fungi protection against rotting. And the native fungus will only survive in a pure mineral clay substrate but not in pot culture.
But maybe there are different fungi around supported with the same protection potency.
You can also see parts of our discussion on this field:
http://www.orchideenkultur.net/index.php?topic=5030.0

But cultivation of Cypripedium subtropicum is a complete different site.

I think so about sel. Next attempt, if any, I will order not only plant but original soil and try to grow it in a bigger pot, avoiding plant from any chemicals.

Subtropicum culture is very poorly known, too, because only few person tried to grow and succes rate is very poor, only Hakone posted a pic about a cultivated flovering plant but surface was covered with moss so noone can tell something about potting mix.

Subtropicum culture is very poorly known, too, because only few person tried to grow and succes rate is very poor, only Hakone posted a pic about a cultivated flovering plant but surface was covered with moss so noone can tell something about potting mix.

You don't have to expect special problems with the substrate. But the green part of the plant is perennial that means nearly frost free in the winter time and never low humidity and full sun in summer

I was reading in an old AOS magazine about a selenipedium species from Surinam, that didn't seem so hard to propagate. Anyone heard of this?

Saw last week some cyp Sing kinds, they are looking fine in mix of kanuma/akadama, some are starting new growth.
There is a big kind with growth up tp 1m and a smaller kind with around 30cm and they stay since soem years like that.
Not one has flowered now a second time. But all look helathy, they stay at around 15C at the moment. And I saw on 3 new growth starting. A little bit more water they want. The pricate person who have them dont allow to take pics or want to shared his name with someone.
He has selenipedium too they are growing still for him, and he think that the downgreading of the akadama is benefitial to the plant as discussed on Bertholds forum at the moment. So he agrees, only that selenipedium seem to need a lot of water and high temps possible compared to his other orchids. At least this is what this person things.
I saw all with my own eyes, and really wanted to take one of them with me home, but was not allowed. Only the promiss that I will get pollen if one flowers again.

Saw last week some cyp Sing kinds, they are looking fine in mix of kanuma/akadama, some are starting new growth.
There is a big kind with growth up to 1m and a smaller kind with around 30cm and they stay since some years like that.
Not one has flowered now a second time.

Yes the first flower is still powered by the old root system. But then the plant needs 3 or 4 more years to develop new roost adapted to the substrate in the pot before it is able again to support new flowers

Yes the first flower is still powered by the old root system. But then the plant needs 3 or 4 more years to develop new roost adapted to the substrate in the pot before it is able again to support new flowers

What does Dido mean by downgrading of the akadama?

What is the feeding rate, and with what please?

Unfortunately I cannot follow your thread in German.

Latest posts

Back