Cyp. parviflorum var parviflorum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you mean to buy, then yes, they are hard to find, unless you don't mind supporting the digging of wild plants. I only know of one nursery that is selling seed-grown and divisions of the yellows. Alberta is fortunate to have both Hole's and Garden Slippers to bet your Cyps from. Do you know where Hole's gets their native species Cyps?

For in the wild, we don't have parviflorum var. parviflorum. I think that variety is only in the East. We have millions of var. pubescens and var. makasin, though. They are very easy to find. Can't say I've seen one quite like this one, though. If I am ever fortunate to find an area that is about to be developed that has Cyps, I would get them from there.

I meant to buy.

Unfortunately Hole's is not the nursery it used to be and no longer has much of a selection of rare and interesting plants. I could go into quite a bit of detail about that but I won't, although I will say their former perennials manager, Bob Stadnyk, is now working with me at Greenland Garden Centre. At the risk of sounding cynical (I am), they decided to take the greedy route and build a ridiculous complex that is less garden centre and more a monument to living life in excess. They now mostly stock overpriced bedding plants.

Having said that, Hole's still sells reginae and pubescens, which are both sourced from Vanstone Nurseries in Manitoba. I'm surprised that your local nurseries don't carry those species since there is a grower right on your doorstep that can supply them. Maybe you should bring that to their attention!

Thanks for the explanation, Chuck. Sorry if you took offense to any of my comments.

No offence taken, Kevin.

I visit about 15 sites in mid June about half of which are on private land. The larger sites contain hundreds of plants, the smallest site might have twenty. The land owners are often amazed that anyone is interested in their little yellow flowers. One of the farmers, George, (who was a friend of my older sisters when they were young) has now set up a small fenced reserve in his pasture land and moves any plants he finds in his pasture to his reserve to protect them from his grazing cattle. He has a very nice collection of plants now and he proudly shows them to any visitors. He says he won't sell any but he does give a few divisions away each year. I suspect the recipients are mostly women. George can be randy old bachelor at times.

But, on the other side of the coin, bordering George's land is a provincial park where there is a large population of plants. Some of these plants have particularly dark long twisted petals. They are wonderful. That part of the park is closed now for the month of June to protect the several thousand plants. Some goof ball started bringing bus tours to see the plants and theft became a problem.

I think engendering respect in private land owners for the plants will do a lot to protect them even if in some cases, when the landowners find that the plants have some value, the plants are then treated as a commodity.

Looking forward to seeing you in September.

Chuck

No offence taken, Kevin.

I visit about 15 sites in mid June about half of which are on private land. The larger sites contain hundreds of plants, the smallest site might have twenty. The land owners are often amazed that anyone is interested in their little yellow flowers. One of the farmers, George, (who was a friend of my older sisters when they were young) has now set up a small fenced reserve in his pasture land and moves any plants he finds in his pasture to his reserve to protect them from his grazing cattle. He has a very nice collection of plants now and he proudly shows them to any visitors. He says he won't sell any but he does give a few divisions away each year. I suspect the recipients are mostly women. George can be randy old bachelor at times.

But, on the other side of the coin, bordering George's land is a provincial park where there is a large population of plants. Some of these plants have particularly dark long twisted petals. They are wonderful. That part of the park is closed now for the month of June to protect the several thousand plants. Some goof ball started bringing bus tours to see the plants and theft became a problem.

I think engendering respect in private land owners for the plants will do a lot to protect them even if in some cases, when the landowners find that the plants have some value, the plants are then treated as a commodity.

Looking forward to seeing you in September.

Chuck

Very interesting - thanks for the info. You actually have a park that closes areas to protect orchids? Wow - very impressive.

Yes, whenever there is a dollar value in something, ethics go out the window. Just yesterday a friend of mine was out doing some orchid photography when all he saw were holes in the ground where the plants used to be! He actually saw a person digging reginae, but, what can you do? You can't regulate common sense.

I, too look forward to seeing you in Sept. Should be great!

if it's not tied down, someone will take it. I also echo that it's likely a pubescens or a native cross between pubescens, makasin and maybe one of the other native northern cyps, because it does look a little 'different' than the yellows we have here in the northeast. though, in one spot where I've posted pics of yellows, you can find all shapes and sizes, plus plants with lots of red to very little red, within feet of each other

Latest posts

Back