Cyp. parviflorum var parviflorum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chuck

This is the largest yellow cyp I have in the garden. It is grown in a pot that normally is sunk into the ground. I moved the pot inside to take photos. The petals are 3.75 inches long and the flower is 5 inches across. Unfortunately it has produced only one new lead each year.

bigboyplant.jpg

bigboyflower.jpg

bigboydetail.jpg

Gawd that's a beautiful orchid. And to think I should be able to grow one in my backyard. Are these cold weather hardy?

Thanks for the comment.

I'm no expert but here is a reply to your question posted by Joe in the threat "My Cyps 2012"
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25734

The question originally Posted by newbud
Great looking cyps Joe...do you think they would grow in Tennessee? I live in the mountains on the Georgia border and would like to start a cyp garden. I have acuales growing there so far but they are indigenous. I know they like cold in the winter and it goes down into the 20's F. here. What do you'all think/

Joe's reply

"I'm sure they'd be fine. As long as you get at least 3 months of winter where temps are at or near freezing, you can grow Cyps. Most species and hybrids grow in USDA zones 2-8, and sometimes even 9."
________

Just judging from what is all growing in the pot - did this plant originate from the wild? Maybe try repotting it and cleaning out all the other 'stuff'. They might be competing for nutrients with your Cyp.

Just judging from what is all growing in the pot - did this plant originate from the wild? Maybe try repotting it and cleaning out all the other 'stuff'. They might be competing for nutrients with your Cyp.

I'm pretty sure Chuck is just trying to simulate the plant's natural habitat in the pot - I highly doubt he dug it out of the ground. He's a very accomplished orchidist and knows what he's doing, not to worry!

Joe: I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything. I just like to find out where people in Canada get their Cyps, since they are not easy to find for sale. Rescuing plants from certain death in the wild is comendable - from the looks of it, I was wondering if it was. To add to that, the yellow lady slippers in Alberta that I have seen have a very high veriability, much more than we have here, so on that note, it would be interesting to know if it was sourced locally.

Joe: I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything. I just like to find out where people in Canada get their Cyps, since they are not easy to find for sale. Rescuing plants from certain death in the wild is comendable - from the looks of it, I was wondering if it was. To add to that, the yellow lady slippers in Alberta that I have seen have a very high veriability, much more than we have here, so on that note, it would be interesting to know if it was sourced locally.

Are parviflorums hard to find in Manitoba? They are very easy to find here.

Hi Kevin and Joe,

Actually I did dig this and several other plants from the edge of a hay field in central Alberta near the town I grew up in with the permission of the land owner who had transplanted several into her yard as well. The field has since been cultivated and the remaining plants lost, I assume. Unfortunately the land owner was unable to contact me before the field was worked or I could have saved a lot more. There are still a lot of plants outside the fence bordering some railroad tracks at the location, so the population is still healthy there.

Thank you, Joe, for the kind comments.

Chuck

If you mean to buy, then yes, they are hard to find, unless you don't mind supporting the digging of wild plants. I only know of one nursery that is selling seed-grown and divisions of the yellows. Alberta is fortunate to have both Hole's and Garden Slippers to bet your Cyps from. Do you know where Hole's gets their native species Cyps?

For in the wild, we don't have parviflorum var. parviflorum. I think that variety is only in the East. We have millions of var. pubescens and var. makasin, though. They are very easy to find. Can't say I've seen one quite like this one, though. If I am ever fortunate to find an area that is about to be developed that has Cyps, I would get them from there.

Hi Kevin and Joe,

Actually I did dig this and several other plants from the edge of a hay field in central Alberta near the town I grew up in with the permission of the land owner who had transplanted several into her yard as well. The field has since been cultivated and the remaining plants lost, I assume. Unfortunately the land owner was unable to contact me before the field was worked or I could have saved a lot more. There are still a lot of plants outside the fence bordering some railroad tracks at the location, so the population is still healthy there.

Chuck

Thanks for the explanation, Chuck. Sorry if you took offense to any of my comments.

Kevin next time I hear about an area in Winnipeg with cyps being developed, I'll let you know. Might be one this month. (sad face)

Hi Kevin and Joe,

Chuck

That is interesting to hear, and I agree with Kevin that rescuing wild plants that would otherwise be destroyed is commendable. For those who haven't followed my posts, I actually have some rescued Amerorchis in my yard.

Latest posts

Back