Cyp calceolus var. pubescens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love planipetalum! I heard once before that if you grow them outside of Newfoundland they revert to standard form...don't know if it's true, but hopefully one day I'll be able to buy one and see for myself!

This is correct. "var." planipetalum is apparently an ecotype of var. pubescens.

It'll be interesting to see how this variety grows for other growers in BC :) Perhaps some special culture or NFLD soil is needed to keep it from reverting back to the normal form?

It'll be interesting to see how this variety grows for other growers in BC :) Perhaps some special culture or NFLD soil is needed to keep it from reverting back to the normal form?

I know of at least one other grower who has one and it is slowly becoming more normal looking as it establishes. To grow them more dwarf I think you need similar environmental conditions. I do remember a couple plants I saw at a botanical garden once - they were growing in a wooded area under a large oak which fell in an ice storm. In spring they were in full sun and managed to grow and bloom anyway, but they were only about 5 inches tall! The flowers however remained large.

I heard that it has something to do with the altitude over there (in NFLD) or something like that that makes them that way, but it was a long time ago and I'm not sure exactly how it was explained.

Latest posts

Back