Cymbidiums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegayde

Reaction score
:crazy::eek:this is another of those what was I thinking questions....LOL.....Chuck Acker had some bundles of 25 Mini Cyms on his website and I have always wanted to try Cyms......$25 for 25 seedlings.....sure why not......so now I have all these Cyms sitting here and I am potting them up in my normal orchid mix......really I could not find any info that said it was unsuitable to grow Cyms in this type of mix but I am wondering how other members here who grow Cyms grow theirs?

you know I think instead of 2 bundles of 25 he sent me 1 bundle of 25 of the one cross and 2 bundles of 20 of the other cross......thats 65 seedlings to pot up.......LOL I may not have time for anything else for a day or so

Todd

Here in the SF Bay Area, Cymbidiums do very well grown outdoors. I pot mine in plastic pots and use fine fir bark as a medium. I usually place styrofoam packaging pellets in the bottom of each pot. I give them indirect light. I grow them under a pergula. They get watered once per week during the dry season and then normal rainfall during the wet season. FYI.

Lots of plants to practice on...:poke: I am kidding!!! 65 Cyms will need a lot of space when they grow up!!! Are you going for a show???...:D Good luck for all of them!!! Post a pic when you pot them all up, please!

When those Cymbidiums mature you could cover the bridge to St Louis with them. ;)

Just about any potting mix will work - a Paph mix is great. Keep them moist. You are in Illinois, so indoors give them as much sun as you can without drying them out. In summer put them outside in partial shade. It will take a couple years to mature the plants. Don't run them too cold in winter, if you keep the nights in the 50's you will get quicker growth. I ran my Cymbidiums in a cold unheated area, and 40's proved to retard the growth and stop blooming. I accidentally knocked one of my Christmas bloomers to June. Now I got to get it back on schedule.

pics of the Cym seedlings before and after potting up...I ended up with 65 seedlings

Todd

Eric....these are suppose to be mini Cyms and some one correct me if I am wrong but mini's are suppose to tolerate warmer weather

Attachments

• Cym bundles.JPG
    Cym bundles.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Cym bundles 1.JPG
    Cym bundles 1.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Cym Seedlings.JPG
    Cym Seedlings.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Cym Seedlings 1.JPG
    Cym Seedlings 1.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 18
"There are two main types of cymbidiums -- standards and miniatures. Where summer nights are warm (above 70 F), only miniatures can be recommended, because many are more tolerant of heat and able to flower in warmer weather."

"Temperatures are another critical factor in flowering standard and miniature cymbidiums. During the summer, standard cymbidiums are usually grown outside in semishade, where day temperatures should be 75 to 85 F (or more), but night temperatures in the late summer to autumn (August to October) must be 50 to 60 F to initiate flower spikes. Optimum temperatures in winter are 45 to 55 F at night and 65 to 75 F during the day. When plants are in bud, temperatures must be as constant as possible, between 55 and 75 F. Miniatures can stand temperatures five to 10 degrees higher than standards and still flower."

Thats the info I had read of the Klehm Growers site......though I wonder since these will mainly be inside if temps will be as a big a issue......course if they get to big they might have to go out on the porch in the summer LOL

Todd

I have a Little Black Sambo & almost killed it treating it like a regular cym, it did not like those colder temps at all!

Latest posts

Back