Crooked Bellatulum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karp60

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
my new Bellatulum opened just A few days ago, I am not entirely happy with the stem as it seems a bit floppy. When the plan arrived in the pot it must have been moved through the transport and it was ”off centre” I did not want to manipulate it too much being concerned it would have been a bit of a shock to the plant to arrive in a new environment and being re potted straight away. So I left it as it was and when I was ready to straighten it up, the bud appeared and I did not want to manipulate again….

Attachments

• A8D77B90-DDE8-4E04-9F06-88065ED4C028.jpeg
    A8D77B90-DDE8-4E04-9F06-88065ED4C028.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 30
  • E37E8902-0E8B-49BA-BBBC-64C79E152707.jpeg
    E37E8902-0E8B-49BA-BBBC-64C79E152707.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 30
I don't see anything wrong there. This species naturally blooms that way. ;)
I thought its leaning too much. On some photos on the net the inflorescence is a bit more upright. Thanks for your comment. 😀 The supplier assured me of the same, its quite natural for the plant to do this. Its the first time it flowers so next season I will know.

It looks OK to me too. It`s just the weight of the flower that draws it to the side. If you want and have something suitable you can support it straighter, carefully! Beautiful looking flower and another bud too. 😘

A lot of growers insist on standing up the stems and use clips to direct the flower’s(s’) posture. All the photos I’ve seen of these in situ are from steep hillsides where the inflorescence is naturally pendulous. I love it. It’s how the species should look and how it should be celebrated in cultivation. Plus, anything you do to your plants’ buds or flowers carries significant risk of heartrending breakage. Just thinking about it makes me shiver.

Love your plant here. Well done. Congratulations!

Back