corallorhiza striata and more from nelson swamp

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
today I had planned on visiting the upper hudson river area with my mother and stepfather who were visiting from new mexico. their plans changed a little so I decided to check out a place I've been before called nelson swamp state unique area. I had found striped coralroot a handful of years ago, and the recent weather (rainy and cool) was similar to that year, so I'd had a feeling that I should check things out this year. striped coralroot at nelson swamp doesn't come up in the same area from year to year, so many people end up searching a very large area in hopes of finding some. it's the only known location for it in new york state, though there had been a few others before the cedar swamps had been logged. so, it's virtually one of the rarest plants/orchids in new york since it isn't even visible every year or even most of the time. I parked at the one spot near one of the park boundaries, and set out to find some western spotted coralroot which often grows along the western side in black, mucky areas. I found some nodding trillium and lots of ferns right away, and a few other interesting things. after wandering for about 20 minutes I saw a patch of green jack-in-the-pulpits and headed for them to get a pic, and looking down I saw three striped coralroot growing right next to each other! I was quite surprised since they most often had been found over along the eastern boundary, and this was the zone where the other coralroots had been found before. plus, how lucky can you be, wandering for a swamp for less than half an hour and finding one of the rarest plants? I truly think angels guided me these plants and the one I found a few years ago during a foggy, rainy day. both times I walked right up to the plants and almost stepped on them. if anyone has ever walked through (or tried to) a cedar swamp before, finding anything or even walking in a straight line is an extreme accomplishment. after hanging my sweatshirt and camera bag on some limbs near the plants, I headed back to my car to get some materials to mark the area. on return I ended up finding one more plant within ten yards of the three. in the other direction I also found a nice yellow ladyslipper and found a few others in different parts of the swamp. to top it off, the black spruce smell absolutely wonderful!

cstriata509a.JPG

cstriata509b.JPG

cstriata509c.JPG

cstriata509d.JPG

cstriata509e.JPG

cstriata509f.JPG

cstriata509g.JPG

shot showing the stem bracts (no green leaves for this and many corallorhiza)

cstriata509h.JPG

all of these pics were taken by hand without a tripod and was quite breezy; will head back tomorrow after work with tripod to try and get some really nice closeups

some things commonly seen in nelson swamp -

nelsoncommon509a.JPG

fallen trees

nelsoncommon509b.JPG

mud

nelsonyellow509a.JPG

yellow ladyslipper near the striped coralroot

nelsonyellow509b.JPG

nelsonyellow509c.JPG

nice clump of yellows along the eastern boundary of the unique area

nelsonyellow509d.JPG

nelsontiny.JPG

a dwarf grasshopper nymph that was either hitching a ride or soaking up some heat (it was pretty chilly)

nelsonjacks.JPG

the jack in the pulpits that caught my eye and lead me towards the striped
coralroot

nodtrillium509a.JPG

some nice nodding trillium

nodtrillium509b.JPG

nodtrillium509c.JPG

super cool plants Charles!!! and you have put a last monster-pict!:) Jean

yes, I forgot to format the last one for size; I'm uploading a smaller one in it's place

Those pictures are amazing Charles!!! Superb plants, too!! TY very much for sharing!

Nice find Charles. It is really cool that you found this population of eastern plants - a rare thing indeed. I've only seen this species out west, and like the fabled eastern Calypso populations, this one eluded me. Have you seen any Goodyera oblongifolia in NY state?

a few more closeups taken using my tripod

cstriata609a.JPG

cstriata609b.JPG

cstriata609c.JPG

Nice find Charles. It is really cool that you found this population of eastern plants - a rare thing indeed. I've only seen this species out west, and like the fabled eastern Calypso populations, this one eluded me. Have you seen any Goodyera oblongifolia in NY state?

I haven't seen oblongifolia and books I've read said that it isn't in the state, usually being further north. Dot, being a calcareous alkaline swamp, there were very few mosquitos

Nice photos! I go to the Bruce Peninsula next week to photograph the native orchids there. I hope to find the Calypsos again this year as well as the Ram's Head. They were plentiful last year so hopefully there will be a few this year as well.

That's interesting -- I didn't know that mosquitoes don't like that kind of environment.

I didn't either. I have yet to find an orchid habitat without mosquitoes. We have calcareous fens here and there are lots of mosquitoes. Maybe it's just the location and not the habitat.

Latest posts

Back